2 blade prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 blade prop

Need help for identification. The prop has been bought in the UK and shipped to Switzerland approx. 30 years ago

I would like to know more about the 2 blade prop and thankful for any information.

The following information is written on the prop:

- Length: 259 cm
    - Label: Marsh Jones & Cribb Ltd - Leeds, England
    - G.1389.N.59
    - D=2590
    - P=2650
    - A.B.644.R.H.
    - I30 CLERGET.

Thank you and looking forward with interest to your information.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

That drawing number (AB644) is listed for use on a Sopwith Camel with the 130 HP Clerget. Less commonly it could have been used on a DH5 or a PV9. But the absence of "witness marks" on the hub indicates that it was likely never put into service on any aircraft.

Comment

Thank you very much for your helpful information. Do you know more or less the year of the prop and the value?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucker View Post
        Thank you very much for your helpful information. Do you know more or less the year of the prop and the value?
        Bob Gardner was our best source for identifying a manufacturing date based on the "G" and "N" numbers, but he is no longer active on the forum. I don't have his data references but I would guess from the "G" number of 1329 that it was probably early 1920s. Value is hard to determine without direct examination, but it should be fairly easy to sell and ship, at least compared to the four-bladed props.

(I am no longer collecting these but I do have a friend who might be interested in buying one or more of yours. Do you want me to put you in touch with him? He's an international airline captain and can travel for free, so he might be able to view them in person.)

Comment

Thank you very much for all the information to my three posts. I really appreciate your fast and competent answers.
          You are right, I would like to sell the two 4-blade props and the 2-blade prop.

It would be great if you could put me in touch with your friend.
          He can contact me: (email address removed by admin for member's protection). The props are about 45 minutes by car from the airport Zurich - by train an hour.

Comment

Can you please help me with a price range for each of the three props. It is difficult according to the pictures but it would help me to get an idea. Thank you.

Comment

I tell people to look on eBay for "completed items" on a search for "wooden propeller" (singular) to get some idea of actual sales. Opening bid prices are completely ridiculous and those items go unsold for months and even years.

Prices fluctuate considerably and the market is really limited, which is one reason there is no good appraisal service to help with this, and you're correct about photos - they're not the same as looking first hand at the true condition. Any alterations made to the prop after it was manufactured, including "restorations" very significantly reduce their value. Damage occurring during normal use can actually have the opposite effect, e.g. a bullet hole from combat rendering the prop non-airworthy.

Comment

Working...
              X