Identification ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification ?

I have a wooden propeller blade, obviously a full propeller sawn in half. It has been this way for at least 55 years. It is in excellent condition and as an ornamental piece standing on its hub, is always admired.
    I have research as far as I can as a total novice, and the closest I can find is that it is possibly from a 1916 Sopwith Camel. It doesn't fully meet the criteria, though.
    The markings on the hub are (in the typical square)
    A.I.L
    54G
    with an additional marking of
    A
    /|\ (as an arrow, beneath the A).

Any help at all with identifying the aeroplane it was once attached to would be great.

Thank you

Niall Fraser.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Unfortunately, the critical markings were on the central hub, and it's really not possible to identify it by blade alone, as there are hundreds of possibilities with similar appearances. The markings in your photo are the British inspection stamps and reflect the name of the inspector and some other information related to manufacturing, but they don't identify the aircraft or engine.

Comment

It should be possible to determine the original diameter of the propeller with reasonable accuracy and also the number of bolt holes, which might narrow down the possibilities.
      I can tell you for sure that this blade isn’t from a Sopwith Camel; it has a left hand thread so it is either for a pusher application or an engine with anti-clockwise rotation (viewed from the cockpit).

Comment

I'm not entirely sure that it's a left hand thread, at least looking at the hub where the blade begins. And most of these I've seen have had the straight portion on the leading edge with the curvature on the trailing edge.

Can the OP include a photo of the tip of the blade with the hub in the background? Often the photos of a single blade can be misleading, and we don't have the entire blade on this one.

Comment

I stand ready to be corrected but, having zoomed in on the first photo, it does appear to me that the left hand edge of the blade meets the hub further from the camera than does the right hand edge, this being consistent with a left hand thread. Whether the straight or the curved edge leads for a given direction of rotation is of course entirely dependent on which way round the propeller is mounted on the hub.

Comment

I'm hoping the OP can get a better photo. I stand ready to be fooled as well . . .

Comment

Working...
            X