No announcement yet.

1936 dated DH87 Hornet Moth propellor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 dated DH87 Hornet Moth propellor?

Hello everyone!

I am looking to accurately ID what I believe is the propellor from a Hornet Moth trainer aircraft. I’ve done as some research on my own online (mostly on this great forum!) but can’t find many specifics.

The previous owner worked at DeHavilland and had it was hanging on his office wall for decades, it was seemingly never used or lightly used. It was manufactured by The Airscrew Co. Ltd. out of Weybridge Surrey in England, who appear to be a well known prop manufacturer. The 2 data plates on either side of the hub are as follows:

side 1: “MAY 1936 44200” with 2 circular symbols (what seems to be a capital C with a capital “A” and a “9” inside it, along with a near identical symbol on the right but with an “A” and a “D”). What do these symbols mean and the “44200”?

side 2:
    DRG. NO
    D.H. 5234/H/X.
    GYPSY MAJOR.
    D6 . 75 P4 . 3

I am familiar with Drawning Numbers and have been able to research it down to the DH5234 model propellor being used on atleast Hornet Moth trainers (seen in the forum thread below from 2006, the only specific mention I can find if the DH5234 model prop so far) along with the matching engine type of Gypsy Major used on Hornet Moths.

Can anyone confirm my research and or correct me? I am also unable to find the specifics of the /H model and cannot find any reference to a /H/X model.

thank you very much in advance,

Rhys
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

One possibility is that this was an experimental prop. The DH5234 H is pretty clear, but the blank line below it does not specify a make and model. At least in U.S. manufactured props an "X" was often used to designate "Experimental", so at least one possibility is that the manufacturer wanted to use that drawing number but also wanted to experiment with a different pitch (or several of them) and stamped the "X" just to avoid confusing it with a standard model with that same drawing number prefix.

That's all speculative on my part and I have no idea if it's correct or not.

Clipboard01.jpg

Comment

Sorry for the late reply but thank you very much for the information!

Would you happen to have a photo of a more standard prop’s markings showing the make and model for reference? Otherwise that explanation makes sense to me, being mainly a collector of ammunition and cartridges using “X” or “XM” for an experimental marking is common to see.

Thanks again!!

Comment

I don't have photos but you may find them through a search on this site.

My interest is almost exclusively in WW1 and earlier propellers and I only deal with these post war models because no one else seems to . . .

Comment

Working...
        X