Wooden Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Propeller Identification

Trying to seek information on this propeller that was found in a family member's home.

Identifying marking on one blade, just outside the hub. Starts wtih DES H. The rest is not clear. (Might be H56 or H5?
    DES. H## [?]-[?] 1.1
    A serial number is stamped on the second line (No. 10282)

The diameter is 102.5" from tip to tip.
    Blades have a stamped metal leading edge that extends from the tip inward about 35"
    There is another metal strip that runs from the leading edge to trailing edge between 13.5" - 17.25" from the tip. This strip is both on the front and back of the propeller.

8 bolt hub
    Flared hub with wooden vaneer around the hub leads me to believe this is a lower speed prop?
    The back of the hub is stamped 554.
    Front of the Hub is 7.5" diameter
    Back of Hub is 14" diameter

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Unfortunately you'd have to find an exact identical propeller with legible markings to positively identify it. The transverse metal banding is unusual, but I think finding another one is a long shot.

Comment

A lovely old propeller.
      If I were you I wouldn’t give up on trying to decipher the design number. Maybe making a pencil rubbing of it could reveal markings that the eye finds it difficult to discern.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
        .../... The transverse metal banding is unusual, but I think finding another one is a long shot.
        Hi,
        The only prop I have seen with transverse metal banding is on a windmill generator, a Chauviere made for Paris-Rhone probably during WW2. However the hub is very different of the one of this thread. The prop is 3.40 meters long. There are two markings : "15" (probably the prop number as there is the same written with a pencil) and "734".

Regards,
        PM
        Attached Files

Comment

HI Josh, If you would like to sell your propeller, I would be interested in a purchase. I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com Thanks, Scott

Comment

Working...
          X