AVRO 504 propeller (again I'm sure).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVRO 504 propeller (again I'm sure).

Hello everybody. I'm a brand new member as of about 20 minutes ago, so please be patient with me.

I've had a lifelong interest in WWI aircraft.

I've inherited a complete propeller in top notch condition which I am fairly certain from the Y503 code is from an AVRO 504K, and I'm sure like everyone else with their relics, I'd like to know when it was made: preWWI / WWI / Post WWI.

(Edit: From elsewhere on this forum I have now gleaned that props marked in imperial units would be post-1918, so that's answered the above.)

A date would be wonderful, whatever that may be! An aircraft ID even better!

I'm well aware that AVRO 504's in various forms were built from 1913 through to 1932

I've seen a comment or two on this forum about 'well known databases' which I can't find, and if anyone can provide me with links I'd be grateful.

Beyond that, forums such as this usually have experts with their own copies of manufacturer's records etc. Maybe they could help?

Data engraved on the hub:

AVRO DRG Y503
    D9' P8'.7
    110 Le Rhone
    130 Clerget
    G1580
    N5(?)

Note the ? in brackets looks like a 1 or a 4 but there's a ding almost obscuring it, so not sure it's even a number.

Many thanks in advance for all and any help!

(Edit: Thanks to all who replied, full length pic added!)
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by teleblaster; 05-11-2024, 05:07 AM.

I am sure you are correct that your propeller is from an Avro 504.
    In answer to a query I made regarding another propeller, I have it on good authority that its Batch No. (G1270) dates from late 1918, so I think it would be a reasonable assumption that your propeller at Batch No. G1580 would date from the early post war period.

Comment

I'm too lazy to search through all of Bob Gardner's previous posts to establish a "G/N" timeline, but it would be a good project for someone in the OP's position, as it could establish a reasonable guideline for others looking for that information. Bob never published whatever reference he had, but that doesn't mean the scattered datapoints that he did share couldn't be assembled into a timeline to post here.

With the rate of production being fairly high during that time period the "N" number is not very significant compared to the "G" (or Group) number with respect to the date range.

BTW, it would be great if you could post a photo of the entire propeller taken from directly in front of the middle of the hub. That's what we do here.

Comment

Hi,

About dating by batch number, I remember very well Bob explaining that it is possible only for a given maker because the batch number was given to a maker for a batch of 100 propellers (sometimes for for 50) and this batch number was used for a not known time: If the maker made all the batch in some weeks, all the prop of the batch have around the same making month. But it could happen that the same batch was used for months, even for years in the years after the war because the props were not anymore in big demand.

For this specific propeller (G1280 N 5x), the batch number have to be given in late 1918. But it not impossible that this batch was used for months, even for years. The use of feet and inches for the dimensions has the same implication.

There is a table batch number / date in the Bob's book part "0", the one with general considerations which last pages are about prop making specification and use a light blue background. I wanted to look at it but I think I lent it to a friend.

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
          Hi,

There is a table batch number / date in the Bob's book part "0", the one with general considerations which last pages are about prop making specification and use a light blue background. I wanted to look at it but I think I lent it to a friend.

Regards,
          PM
          Thanks, PM. I'll be home later today and will check that out in Bob's book.

Comment

Working...
          X