Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 12-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #11
Bob Gardner

I have not found any reference about these dates in the APs of the time (Air Publications produced by the Air Board.)

For example AP 95 dated 23 May 1915 describes the specifications for Walnut used in prop manufacture.

These dates only appear on two makers, I think. They must be contract dates or completion dates. I suspect the former because I have seen several examples with your date.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
First Timer

Thanks Bob, I'll continue on with my research and post anything further I can find out. I may also re-energise this thread if it throws up more questions than answers !! These forum threads are a real help for those with little or no prior knowledge, and the contributions of those 'in the know' are greatly appreciated.
First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #13
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
These forum threads are a real help for those with little or no prior knowledge, and the contributions of those 'in the know' are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the comment, but I think you'd be surprised at how often those "in the know" are mystified trying to identify the older propellers. It's unbelievable how much data was not kept from the teens and early twenties, particularly with respect to blueprints and drawing (design) numbers.

That's one of the main purposes of this forum - to collect discussions in a central location for future searches, which could not have been done using all of the multiple emails used in the past.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
First Timer

That frustrating lack of early record keeping definitely makes this kind of resource and platform vital in keeping the history alive. Researching this prop has introduced me to all manner of other early flight related topics which have proved just as fascinating. Thanks again !!
First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
Biggles of 266

Default Farman 3635

I found a web site listing early serial numbers, and it lists 3635 (with no prefix) as a Henri Farman
Here is the link:

http://www.worldmilitair.com/serials...%20aa%2010.pdf

It would appear therefore that the painted numbers on the boss are indeed the serial of the aircraft.
Guy
Biggles of 266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #16
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Nice find!

Thanks for posting that, as it may come in handy with respect to other propeller/aircraft research as well.
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote