Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Bob Gardner

Dave,

The prop is on eBay. It comes up for me under my search for WW1 aircraft propellers. The item number is 251282493252. It is described as; WW1 / WW2, Airship / Zeppelin, Four Bladed Mahogany Propeller, RFC / RAF, Early 20th Century.

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Dave

Sounds like a stupid buyer can just choose whatever he wants it to be. I'm surprised it's not a Spitfire prop, too. Those are selling pretty well.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
MWP_Lamar

Angry

Seems to me that Dom is seeing $$$ rather than factual honesty.
MWP_Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
D.Hicklin

Default The " Hammer of truth "

I am always amazed at the highly informative nature of this great website and forum.

Picture an alley with two people in it, one has a samurai sword, and the other person has a well worn vintage tennis racket. Long story short, its obvious which tool is more precise and is more sharp.

With all due respect to Dom, welcome to this forum, and to some very sharp people world wide that take this forum and the realm of wooden " airscrews " very seriously.

Its kind of a global gentleman's club of the "unique" so to speak. Mr. Gardner is one of those rare people that is rooted deeply in fact, of a noble nature.

Once again, the hammer of truth has tempered the display of a prop that " isnt from an actual german airship "

Bravo Bob for your patience and display of interesting factual information. We all learn from your example.

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Osh TBM.jpg (14.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 4-28-2011 7;22;50 AM not again.jpg (110.0 KB, 7 views)
D.Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
dom

Default Hammer of truth?

Gentlemen, gentlemen, it seems like some of you are getting your knickers in a twist over this prop.
Firstly, allow me to thank you again for the advice given to me when I first joined your esteemed forum.
The initial welcome appears now to have evaporated (due, I imagine to my not following your advice and instructions to the letter) and as to the accusation that I'm here to make a fast $ (that would be as I'm English) I can honestly say that the money means nothing to me. I'm lucky enough to own two multinational businesses and have interests in others, I really don't need the cash. Buying interesting items and paintings to sell online is merely a hobby to me.
Thirdly, Bob old chap, it appears that you are seen by your chums as the prop guru (on here at least) and that you have penned a couple of books on the subject. Well done, however I'm sure you'll agree that this makes you knowledgable but it most certainly doesn't make you infallible.
I did say to you all that I had taken counsel from other quarters as well as yourselves on the subject of my prop and the info I received at that time seemed equally plausible as the info you yourselves gave me. My own expertise lies elsewhere and I'm not an authority on vintage propellors, that's why I asked you and others about the subject.
In fact, I will admit that I do have some scant general knowledge of one particular airship and am lucky enough to have acquired some airship items from the estate of a man who part designed and worked on one of the Cardington airships (the better one of the two). He was an author like you Bob.
As for the ebay listing, the title does say airship / zeppelin but it also says WW1 and WW2 and RFC and RAF. The point there chaps is that it can't be both of these can it? Thus, the title description is merely an indication of the possible origins, bearing in mind the information I had at the time.
Furthermore, the listing description states 'possibly an auxilliary propellor from a later bomber type aircraft', or words to that effect.
So, I will now apologise for offending your sensibilities on this subject which is obviously close to your hearts however you must allow people to do the things they want to do without being too dogmatic or dictatorial against them.
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
D.Hicklin

Default Hitting the reset button.

Dear Dom.

As you can see, this forum is a place where a lot of people eventually find out, through various search engines, that this is a place where you can ask questions and post pictures and learn a lot from various people around the globe.

That being said, and this is purely an offering from me, as its not my website, I am just an amature on it as well. But consider this a sort of trial by fire to a new member in regards to all of the text and pictures that have been posted on this auxillary prop you have.

Bob is a respected moderator on this site and others like PM, and lamar and Dave, all of these gentleman are pretty sharp when it comes to identification of wooden " airscrews " from all over the planet. So now that a lot of words have been exchanged and some of the dust has settled, its time to hit the reset button and move onto to the next topic what ever it may be.

Knickers in a twist?, ........................doubtful at best on that, its just a lot of us enjoy having fun on this site when it comes to identifying old " airscrews ".

So again, welcome to this forum and by all means, please do enjoy it for what it is and what it can be.

By the way, just as a sort of exercise, can you name the various origins of the props on the illustration I have provided, I would offer you some hints or clues, but it will be interesting to see what the various responces are from those that know the parts on this particular machine.

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle washington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.jpg (86.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg propeller car2.jpg (48.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ball graphics card.jpg (74.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by D.Hicklin; 06-02-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Bob Gardner

Hi Dennis,

Good photo of the prop-car.

If by chance it's German could you e-mail me a copy? For the book.

I know of two others, both pre-WW1. One used by Lucien Chauviere in Paris; the other by Claude Grahame White in London. Both were methods of testing the thrust of different props in comparative tests.

But these chaps look as though they are about to attempt a land speed record!

With kind regards,

Bob
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
D.Hicklin

Default More fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Bob.

As stated, its all about fun.

The illustration I was referring to is the MM tractor with the various added elements that were NOT factory options.

The picture of the vintage prop car was purely a lure to those that may actually know something about the car and prop itself. The picture came to me as a link to a website of unusual automobiles, I know nothing about any of the workings of it nor the origin of the car itself.

Bravo Bob for taking the bait and offering more amazing facts about amazing machines from the past. As for the look of the crew of the prop car, its more than evident that they were all having a wonderful time. I would have loved to have been alive in that time period when that machine was working and I would have loved to have been a part of that crew.

Still waiting to see if the vast audience out there can identify the 3 different " airscrews " on the tractor and the origin of each one. And yes I do have the answers, because it was drawn by me. I love to stir up the pot so to speak with humor and just plain good fun!

Sincerely,
Dennis Hicklin
Seattle Washington
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1315.jpg (99.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1316.jpg (101.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
Dave

Dom,

Don't forget that your prospective buyers may also visit here. Worse yet, the person who actually ends up with it likely will end up here after the sale and you'll be faced with having to give your awkward cop out directly to him as well. Your choice, but IMHO your ethics are lacking.

I've already rescued at least one prospective buyer who emailed me photos of YOUR prop asking what I knew about it. I simply provided the link to this forum and quickly got this reply:

Quote:
FAN-TASTIC, excuse the pun !! Have a great weekend !

Thanks a lot for your assistance : )
A disaster averted there AND I have been asking him questions, no mention of an AUX PROP though !

Another deceptive ebay seller !!

VBR , Jon.
No need to challenge the authenticity of the email, as I know for a fact that you have had other communications with this gentleman.

As I have previously (as administrator) I'm leaving this thread in place as a monument to deception and dishonesty.

Dave
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
dom

Default Hmmm...

Dave et al,
Thanks for your message.
In fact, I'm hoping that as many people as possible visit your forum - they will doubtless form their own opinions of it.

I'm sorry that you think I'm ethically lacking, deceptive and dishonest, although you don't actually know me to make such a judgement do you? If you did, you would change your opinion I'm sure.

I've had various people tell me on here how friendly you all are and that the forum is all about fun & enjoyment etc etc but actually all you've tried to do since I innocently joined is to try to discredit me with what is tantamount to a character assasination.
Perhaps you just don't like outsiders...?

As for your pal the chap who contacted you re my prop, certainly we had communication and I won't embarrass him (or you) by quoting the rest of the communication we had nor to other information I subsequently learnt about him.
I would however reiterate the fact that my ebay listing states that, quote, ''mahogany four-bladed propeller thought to be from either an airship or zeppelin or possibly an auxilliary propeller from a bomber type aircraft''. Surely I can't say fairer than that, particularly as, I say again, I took advice from other quarters as well as your own selves re this prop and thus described the prop according to the advice and info I received at that time. Please don't make me spell this out again.

I've obviously fallen foul of you chaps which is disappointing for me but I would respectfully ask that you try to be more tolerant of others who join, particularly those who may be less knowledgable than your goodselves.
(Still) best wishes to all, Dom
dom is offline   Reply With Quote