Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #41
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi ahranis,

The four links are for planes with Salmson 120 or 130 HP. It doesn't explain the marking CU 260. Yes, it is possible that the markings are erroneus: it would not be the fist time it happens. But if we suppose that, what have to be rejected?
Keep in mind that the prop:
- has been made in France (by Mormesse under Régy license) and later repaired or modified also in France (by Chauvière) and each time the work was approved by military controller.
- Its making has to have happened in 1918 or 1919: after this time, no more licensees made prop for the army.
- And yes, it could have been used later with "not approved" fitting, but we have to find an aircraft suitable for its first usage and also after repaired. And it there we have a problem: the prop has the same caracteristics that those for Salmson fitted with 260 HP engine... but it is right handed vs left for this aircraft. Perhaps, as supposed by Dave, it was possible to have the Z9 rotating "other way". But why? Don't forget there was "administrativ work" to make such a propeller constructed and approved...

Perhaps I forgot something in plain view that suggest an answer? It would not be the first time...

Regards,
PM

EDIT : replaced cabalistic signs by é and è.

Last edited by pmdec; 04-26-2019 at 07:33 AM.
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #42
ahranis
Forum Contributor

Understood!

I will keep a radio silence and try to make a local research. I am really glad I had this little educative contact with your specialties and I hope I wasn't such a bother.

I wish I come back with usefull informations.

with appreciation ,
Nick
ahranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 PM   #43
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahranis View Post
.../... and I hope I wasn't such a bother. Nick
Hi,

Not a bother at all: exactly the contrary! "Strange" props are the most interesting!

Just one more pic to show what I suppose was the pigskin "shielding" of your prop, here on a Chauvière 2463 for a Dorand.
This shielding (blindage in French) was made by SHAM and patented by them.
From prop number (73664), it was probably made between 1919 and 1921. BTW, nothing can be told from the prop number of yours because Mormesse production is not known, at least by me.

As you can see, SHAM shielded [right word?] prop had a small brass plate, nailed to the prop. I suspect many came loose...

Regards,
PM

EDIT: replaced "licensed" by "patented" and added the patent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chauvière2463n°73664BlindSHAM.jpg (96.7 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GB128629A.pdf (96.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by pmdec; 04-26-2019 at 06:11 AM.
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote