Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
pmdec

Hi,

There is a French Chauvière serial 2410-1 with length of 2.70 meters and a 1,50 meter pitch designed for Rumpler fitted with 110 HP Benz. It was a "late" model (appeared only in 1918 ).

Could you post a pic of the tip of the blade marked with the red rectangle? It is just to see if there is an unglued lamination, or if there is kind of a notch there.

@Bob: I don't remember speaking about the special C as a recall of the math symbol ... And I (re???)discovered that ... today here!

@Bob again: why the stamping is "D R P" and not "I (or J) P W"?

@Bob (the last one!): When the markings Geprüft P&W and Stand xxxx appeared? Doesn't the shape of the prop and its production by IPW be 3 or 4 years before? Could it be an "old" prop reused?

Many questions....

Regards,
PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6246_rectangle.jpg (28.2 KB, 5 views)
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
C Donnelly

Good evening
Could anyone advise on value of this propeller?
C Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
Bob Gardner

Pierre-Michel,

You ask me simple questions on complicated subjects so my answers tend to be long!

Many thanks for the details of a French made prop for a German aircraft. I have recorded perhaps a dozen similar examples where the British and Germans manufactured props for an enemy aircraft. In all cases this was to return a captured enemy aircraft to the air for flight testing, often in mock combat against allied aircraft.

DRP (Deutches Reichs Patent) existed from 1870 until the end of WW2. Its presence indicates that the design of an item, here a propeller, has been registered and is therefore copyrighted, preventing any one from copying the design.

IPW refers to the Integrale Propeller Werke, the German subsidiary of Lucien Chauvière's company. There were similar Chauvière subsidiaries in Britain, Austria and Russia. The capital I in German gothic script looks like a J to a modern eye, thus JPW. The IPW was opened on 9 July 1912 in Frankfurt am Main with a Branch at Johannisthal airfield in Berlin. It continued to make props for German aircraft until August 1916 when it went into liquidation.

It emerged as the Imperial Propellerwerke in June 1916 and began selling props on 1 September 1916.

Note that the Imperial company was formed before the Integral company closed, which suggests that the transformation of the company from a French subsidiary to a German company was pre-planned and put a French company into legal German ownership.

P & W on a German prop indicates the Prufanstalt und Werft der Fliegertruppe which was the Test Institute and Workshops of the Flying Troops. It merged with the FLZ, the Flugzeugmeisterie, in 1917 to form a test centre for all German aviation. Thus the presence of FLZ on a prop dates it to 1917 or 1918, and similarly P & W dates a prop to before 1917.

Do you have copies of my four books on German WW1 propellers? If not should I send you the set?

With kind regards,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Gardner; 09-13-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote