Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 10-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Viper

Default S.h.a.m.

Hello, Im looking at a prop that is 9'6" long and has decals on each blade that are marked with S.H.A.M. and "BREVETE" "S.G.D.G." and Made in the USA on them. I believe the BREVETE and S.G.D.G. relate to French patents but Im not sure what the S.H.A.M. means.
The hub has eight bolt holes and the tips are canvas covered. Can anyone help identify this prop for me and possibly tell me which airplane or airplanes it may have flown on?
thanks
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's a list of some abbreviations, including "S.G.D.G.", but I still don't know what SHAM means. Maybe at this point pmdec, with a large knowledge base of French propellers, can fill us in.

Those are clearly French abbreviations, and if the prop was made in the USA it was likely under some kind of license agreement.

It would help if you could post a picture of the propeller and the hub. Are there any other stamped numbers/letters anywhere on the prop?
Dbahnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
.../... S.H.A.M. and "BREVETE" "S.G.D.G." and Made in the USA .../...
Yes perhaps I know the meaning of SHAM. Is the decal the same that the one I post?
Anyway, pics of the decals, of the whole prop and of each of the 4 sides of the hub (central part) and of each marking outside the hub are "mandatory" for an answer: it is kind of a reward for the work done to have the prop identified...
Please, clear and large pics (7, so you have to post 2 messages). If you can't post them on the forum, you can send them by mail and I will post them here.

Regards,
PM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DécalType2 (7Bn°1808)_200px.jpg (33.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by pmdec; 10-28-2018 at 08:27 AM.
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Viper

Default S.h.a.m.

pmdec, yes, that's the same decal that is on the prop. I will try to attach some photos.

thanks, Viper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prop 1.jpg (59.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg prop 2.jpg (99.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg prop 3.jpg (50.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Are you able to read all of the stamped numbers and letters? It's difficult sometimes to do that from a photo, as often you need to move it into different lighting to be able to determine the characters.

It's a nice looking propeller!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
pmdec
Forum Contributor

Hi,

Excellent trove! Not rare in France but perhaps the only one "made in USA" surviving... And in very good shape!

SHAM means Société des Hélices Armées et Matricées, that could be translated in Company for Strengthened and Molded Propellers.
Those props are made very differently from the classical method. They use very thin laminations (around 5mm) with fabric between each lamination. The tips are reinforced with pigskin or parchment (you have to use a binocular loupe to know) painted in black.

More infos when I will have large pics of each of the 4 sides of the hub with stamping readable...

If you have access to a metal detector, some of these props are presumed to contain openwork metal sheets between laminations: could you try after removing the bolt?

Regards,
PM
pmdec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Bob Gardner

Greetings Viper and Pierre-Michel,

Thank you for the photographs of the SHAM decals which I have added to my collection. Both are new to me, which is a rare occurrence these days.

I know nothing about French propellers, so I tread carefully when I note that this angular propeller has the shape of a Lang Propeller design. Dashwood Lang was British and also made props in America as the Lang Propeller Company of America, but I know of no connection with French propellers.

So, I look forward to Pierre-Michel's denouement!

With kind regards,

Bpb
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Viper

I will send more pictures tomorrow. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Viper
Old 10-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Dbahnson
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
I will send more pictures tomorrow. Thank you very much for your assistance!

Viper
Please try to provide the stamped information on the hub. It might even require gentle cleansing of the hub with mild soap and water and adjusting the light to better discern those characters. Better close-up photos taken straight-on might help, but rarely work as well as direct inspection.

There are obviously some characters stamped on the hub. They can be critical for its identification!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Viper

Default More pictures of S.H.A.M. propeller

Okay guys, here are the pictures of the hub. One photo looks like the hub has a ragged hole in the side of the hub but its not. Its a raised blemish. The markings indicate the following:

On one side of the hub I was able to read the following (at least this is what I can read so far -

DE LA GRAX??LME - SHAM PROPELLER
TYPE No8
0-412

On the other side -

DH-4 LIBERTY 12
430 HP
1750 RPM

Any information is appreciated!
Viper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181029_162901121.jpg (96.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181029_162950704.jpg (96.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181029_163029363.jpg (96.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181029_163103662.jpg (97.2 KB, 5 views)