Wooden Propeller Forum  

Go Back   Wooden Propeller Forum > Wooden Propeller Identification > "Early" Wooden Propellers

Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
Bob Gardner

Default Databases of WW1 propellers

A note to my fellow forumites to let you know that in the next twelve months I shall publish in spread-sheet format on CD;

1. My database on German WW1 aircraft propellers, about 1000 lines of data describing maker, diameter and pitch, engine and aircraft type where known.

2. And my database of British WW1 aircraft props, which runs to about 2000 lines of data.

If you have a British or German WW1 prop that you have not told me about (many of you have for which I am most grateful) or if you have any documents from the time which list propellers, please let me know.

With kind regards,

Bob

Dave; could you make this a sticky please.
Bob Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
JZMRZ

Default WW1 Propeller from training plane?

This propeller my father had for many years.
The numbers on it are:
D2971, P3170
G571NG4 (I think, not sure on the 5 which might be B, and the G might be 6)
140 HP RAF
Can you identify this one please?
Jeff & Maz
JZMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Bob Gardner

Jeff & Maz,

Thank you for your information.

Your prop is very probably from a WW1 reconnaissance aircraft from late 1917 or early 1918, the RE8. It is four bladed.

The data translates as;
D2971 The diameter of the prop in mm
P3170 The pitch of the propeller in mm
140hp RAF The 140hp engine designed and made by the Royal Aircraft Factory (hence RAF)

The key information is the drawing number, which you haven't mentioned, which is almost certainly T6296, where the designator letter T indicates the Royal Aircraft Factory.

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 05-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Mike L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gardner View Post
Jeff & Maz,

Thank you for your information.

Your prop is very probably from a WW1 reconnaissance aircraft from late 1917 or early 1918, the RE8. It is four bladed.

The data translates as;
D2971 The diameter of the prop in mm
P3170 The pitch of the propeller in mm
140hp RAF The 140hp engine designed and made by the Royal Aircraft Factory (hence RAF)

The key information is the drawing number, which you haven't mentioned, which is almost certainly T6296, where the designator letter T indicates the Royal Aircraft Factory.

With kind regards,

Bob
Hi Bob,
Please let me know how I can sign up for a copy of your British propeller database on CD, and the cost.
I have a DH4 4-blade prop DRG2442, for a RAF 3A engine, batch G299 (or 289),
N.1
Could you tell me a little more about it?
Many thanks
Mike L, Urchfont.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #5
Bob Gardner

'Morning Mike,

I am about six months away from publishing my databases on CD. I first have to finish and publish the last in my series of books on WW1 German props. I'll put a note here and on my website as both things come to market.

I have recorded your prop before, presumably from the man you bought it from.

The drawing number is AM2442, where AM indicates AIRCO who built all the WW1 aircraft designed by Geoffrey de Havilland, and this prop was fitted to both the DH4 and DH9 with various engines. The DH4 is recorded with the RAF3A engine of 200hp but I have not found any reference to the DH9 using the RAF 3A engine. It was often fitted with the BHP 230hp engine.

The specified diameter and pitch for the prop were 3050mm and 3670mm respectively but makers were allowed small variations due to production tolerances; hence yours at 3048 vice 3050 and 3640 against 3670mm.

I have recorded only one maker of this prop, other than AIRCO, which was WT Lord. The Ministry of Munitions paid £35-10s-6d for a similar size of four-bladed prop.

I believe the contract for batch number 289 was issued in Autumn 1917, but a batch of 500 props made by Bristol for the Bristol Scout, with batch numbers from 302 to 306 was delivered in January and February 1918. It is likely that a three month gap between the issue of the contract and delivery was normal.

As ever, there is a degree of supposition in my interpretation of the data that I have gathered, so my views should not be thought of as immutable fact.

With kind regards,

Bob

Bob Gardner
Old 05-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
JZMRZ

Default Thanks Bob,

What does the G57IN64 indicate?
I've checked again and it is a 6 not a G.
Thanks for your information.
Marian
JZMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #7
Bob Gardner

Marian,

From Autumn 1917 propeller production was centralised under the Air Board, which later was renamed as the Air Ministry. From this time all propellers were made in batches of 100, indicated by the letter G and each of the 100 props was numbered with a prefix of N. Hence G571 N64 is the sixty-fourth propeller made in batch 571.

These batch numbers can occasionally be dated from known contracts. But it seems that there was often a three month gap between the contract date and the date of delivery.

Your prop batch number 571 dates (probably) from late 1917 and might have been delivered in the Spring of 1918.

With kind regards,

Bob
Old 05-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Bart

Default Heine prop

Hello,

I would be glad to know more about my propellor with the following registration details:

N LIO N
D 315
H 260
HEINE

It has had a clock inside the hole but it is easily removed.

Thanks in advance!
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Bob Gardner

Greetings Bart,

Heine were a German firm, almost the only one to survive the desolate economic period of German aviation from 1919 to 1926.

Your prop was made around 1927-28 for an aircraft using the British Napier Lion 450hp aero engine. (Heine made its 50,000th prop in 1930). Several German airlines and aircraft used this engine, particularly in the Dutch Fokker XIII, but this prop is not from that aircraft which had a prop of a different pitch. I have recorded about five or six Heine Napier Lion props and they seem, as far as one can judge from such a small sample, to have been used on three types of aircraft with the Napier engine.

With kind regards (und freundliche Grüssen, Wenn Sie Deutsch sind! )

Bob
Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Bart

Greetings Bob,

Thank you very much. I'm from Holland but no stranger to the German language, so 'herzlichen dank'!

Do you have any information how much it is worth? I know this depends on some criteria but I would be glad if you can give a broad range.

You have been of great help already, best regards!

Bart

PS: Is there any way I can see if the propellor has actually been used? Maybe some markings on the wood?
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote