Need Help Identifying a Gardner Propeller for School Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identifying a Gardner Propeller for School Project

We adopted an artifact in our history class and we have to do research on it. I chose a Garnder Propeller, and I found the engine it goes on and the model of plane it would be on, but my teacher wants the plane it was on and the pilot who crashed the plane. There are many abbreviations and numbers on it.

DES 581 H
    SER 41310
    ATC 389
    Max RPM 2175
    Max HP 125

It's not possible to know the information your teacher wants from the markings on the prop. You'll need a different source.

Comment

Unfortunately, your assignment is almost impossible to fulfill. The only way to connect a propeller to a specific aircraft would be through the aircraft's logbooks, and even then it might not include the serial number of the propeller in the entries.

Identifying a specific airplane is extremely rare with old propellers.
      Dave

Comment

Is there any way to get some of the manufacturing specifications of the propeller? The one I found is pretty damaged so the weight would be incorrect. Any idea where I can find what the propeller should have weighed/what its measurements should have been?

Comment

Dave may have ATC (aircraft type certificate) data on this prop; I don't. I've never seen weight included in any prop specification. This may be because each is made from different wood which would vary the weight somewhat. What you can expect is diameter and pitch.

Comment

DES 581 H
            SER 41310
            ATC 389
            Max RPM 2175
            Max HP 125

Length 92"
            Pitch 48"
            Bolt holes - 8
            Bolt hole diameter 3/8"
            Bolt circle diameter 5 1/4"
            Hub diameter 7"
            Hub thickness 4"
            Weight 18 pounds

* Approval expired March 8, 1957
            Dave

Comment

It does have the weight. I stand corrected! Thank you Dave.

Comment

Thank you! This is a really big help, and those measurements actually match the ones I took, so that makes me feel good about myself. Haha. So just one more quick question. Is there any way to know what type of wood this propeller is made of? It looks like a darker wood, or maybe more red...anyway...if there is any way to find this out that would be terrific.

Comment

The wood species is not specified in the type certificate data, so probably just having a furniture expert look at it would be your best bet.
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X