Identifying Presentation Propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Presentation Propellor

I have a mahogany propellor with brass edging that has an interesting history. It is 6'4'' long and has the following markings. D6 M; P1 8; ACG No 9535; MAR / 28. It has the number 9535 repeated on the reverse side. I have had it for over 40 years and it hung over the door of the Orillia, Ontario YMCA for many years before it was presented to me. I would like to know where and when it was made. I'm trying to trace it's history. It was presented to the Orillia YMCA by the premier of Ontario for appreciation of the YMCA's efforts for soldiers training in Orillia during the first world war. Skid Watson, Executive Director of the Y for over 50 years accosted the premier at a dinner and asked that the province should recognize the effort the Y made by providing various facilities to the soldiers. Several months later the premier presented the prop to Skid. He always felt the gift of the prop was an insult from the premier. It has several pieces of pie shaped woods fitted to the hub, cut from trees that were removed to make a runway for Camp Borden.

Well, I suspect that it was made in 1928 so I moved it into the "modern" category. Maybe Bob Gardner will know the drawing number and be able to identify it. Be patient.
    Dave

Comment

Hello Jim,

Your prop is from a de Havilland Moth, probably the DH60M Gipsy Moth, where M indicated a metal tubular fuselage rather than the wooden earlier models. These props are dated, a rare event in prop archaeology. March 1928. It is from one of the earliest Moths in Canada and therefore a valuable artefact, although not necessarily in financial terms. Its value (without its local history) is around 600 gbp, say 1250 usd.

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X