early watts propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early watts propeller

I have an early watts two blade fixed pitch propeller. laminates of wood with a plywood cone. could it have been fitted to early spitfires
    Its plate is present and is marked kestrel
    dec 1935
    drg no
    watts 861/8
    d3150
    p2960
    c640
    Origional grey paint on front
    Origional dark blue paint on rear
    8 bolt holes

I obtained it as a kid 40yrs ago. it was on the wall in our village local working mans club.
    The chairman (who was my neighbour) told me it was fitted onto a schneider cup plane. There was a accompanying framed photo
    I've made enquiries but cant locate the photo. could this be true?

Am seeking a information
    Last edited by fisherman; 03-06-2021, 12:09 PM. Reason: adding information

I can tell you is that your propeller is neither from a Spitfire or a Schneider trophy aircraft.

The marking “Kestrel” refers to the Rolls-Royce engine of that name, which was never fitted to the Spitfire. The date of 1935 also rules out a Schneider trophy aircraft, as the competition was last held in 1931.

What you have, I believe, is a propeller from a Hawker Hart or one of its variants. This family of biplanes were used by the RAF and other air forces in a wide variety of roles during the 1930’s and early 40’s.

That makes it a very interesting item; I would love to see some photographs of it.

Comment

watts propeller

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, have attached some photos
      Attached Files

Comment

Superb! Thank you.
        Have you read the thread on this forum regarding restoring your propeller, with particular emphasis on why you shouldn’t?
        Last edited by Mtskull; 03-09-2021, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X