Pester's prop found in my attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pester's prop found in my attic

Hi,glad I found this site,some interesting reading,I would never know that there was such a large following for wood propellers ,I collect old woodworking machines to restore so go figure,anyway we bought a 200 year old house in Tuckerton ,NJ (jersey shore) the attic was full of many old things,one is a wooden propeller,the prop was badly damaged ,I guess from a crash,it measures under 48'' the decal is Pester's Propeller Service the # 18242 6 hole hub.
    I was told by someone that the plane the prop came off of had some local historic story about it,supose it was a seaplane that came up the Tuckerton Creek in the 30's/40's.just curious to collect any info on it,will be hung on our library wall,conversation piece,sorry for the long thread,thanks Gene

Beware of folklore . . .
    Dave

Comment

Back again,Had some time today and brought out the propeller in the daylight,I found the stamped name Sensenich with the #18242 I estimate to be about 44'',I did check the website all I could get maybe made 1932-42,the prop seems small ,compared to the other sizes that are much longer,I took a few pics,thanks again Gene

Comment

Somewhere on or very near the hub you should find the design number, abbreviated as DES or DESC stamped into the wood. From this you can tell the usage and the original diameter. It's so badly damaged I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to it's original diameter. Sensenich design numbers are listed here: http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/sensenich.htm.

Lamar

Comment

Lamar,thank you for your responce,I did check the hub for the design number,there are no letters in the stamp,just the numbers 18242,I did read that in Sensenich's code if there were no letters in the design # it maybe pre 1940's ?,just trying to get any info on the prop for conversation sake,thanks again Gene

Comment

You are referring to the serial number, not the design number. Your manufacture date based on the serial number is correct. Without the design number there's no more to be known of it.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
            X