S & S Aircraft Ltd. Winnipeg prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S & S Aircraft Ltd. Winnipeg prop ID

Hello, I just acquired this propeller and I would really appreciate getting some information about it. The stamping at the root of the blades are:
    SER 31-274 and SSWLA613C

The fellow who gave it to me told me that he believed that it came from an Avro Anson. He was an aircraft mechanic working on Canadian Lancasters during the war and he saved this prop from a stack that were slated to be cut up.

The prop is 88 1/4" long

Are these types of props rare? I'm not really interested in selling it but what is the value? ie. should I insure it? As you can see from the photo it is in very nice condition. I believe that it was in service because the hub area is clearly compressed from the prop bolts.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files

They are very common, if in fact it was for the Anson, which it probably was. I don't recognize the numbering on it. Some were more clearly stamped specifically linking to the Anson. Also a number of other manufacturers produced props for that aircraft/engine.

The reason that they are common is that a large number of them were produced when they introduced metal props and wooden ones quickly became obsolete. Some were removed from existing installations and many were never installed.

I'm guessing that it's worth somewhere in the $500 to $600 range, but there's a lot of guesswork in that estimate.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. There are some other numbers stamped on the side of the hub including the word "Cheetah" but some of them are obscured by a small metal plate which I assume was used to balance the prop.

Comment

Cheetah was the engine used by the Avro Anson and also the Airspeed Oxford.

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X