Moddern wooden or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moddern wooden or not?

I Think I have the identical propeller that is on the top of Modern Propeller web page.
    I started out on the antique sight because I zoned in on 8 hole bolt patterns as being only antique. Now I know better, but my initial research led me to believe it is a Le Rhone because of the hub dimensions.
    Hub Bore (B) 2.375
    Bolt whole circle (C) 4.75
    Hub diameter (D) 5.75
    Number of bolts 8
    Hub thickness (G) 4.25
    It is about 6’6” in length
    There is a number 2 over 10728 on the back stamped into the wood by the hub.
    So since it is a modern propeller like the one on your web page what is it?
    I am interested to find out anything I can about this prop. Painted as it is, it’s not very attractive and I much prefer the lacquered wood look but I don’t won’t to destroy its value. I would like to find out what plain it used to pull and what value it has if any other than as a decoration.
    I look forward to hearing from you
    Sincerely
    Michael Hodgson
    Attached Files

The hub dimensions help rule out a number of engines, but it doesn't necessarily rule in any of them, as several props would share the same hub sizes, some by coincidence and others by design.

Anyway, it's unlikely that yours was designed for a LeRhone engine just based on its length alone (most LeRhone props will be around 8 feet), and the integral spinner on yours was a more modern concept associated with the higher rpm engines.

I don't know what yours was used on, and the markings don't give a complete clue, especially without a manufacturer.

Value is hard to know, but it would only be used as a display prop. YOu are MUCH better off leaving it alone with the original paint. The absent paint is on the rear surface and won't really be visible when displayed. I like the paint, even though it hides the wood and the metal sheathing.
    Dave

Comment

The prop used at the top of the Modern Wooden Prop webpage is a Hartzell 318-43 used on the early Monocoupe aircraft, one of the first planes ever built for private fliers. The prop was used on a Velie engine. Velie engined Monocoupes, mostly the Model 70, were built from 1927-1929. The prop has six bolt holes rather than eight as yours has. That fact alone would make them very different.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
      X