Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification

I have inherited from my aunts estate a propeller and I would like toi identify it. I believe it was from a Gypsy Moth but I am far from an expert on these matters. The prop is 6'4" in length and has 8 bolts. On one side of the prop it has D.6 33. P.4 LL 646 Jan 41 (I assume the date). On the other side of the prop it has DRG 5220 SC Gypsy Major IC. I have attached a few pictures.
    Attached Files

Good Morning Dave and welcome to the forum,

This drawing number is one of the most common de Haviland drg nos and was used for the Gypsy Moth, Puss Moth and Tiger Moth, and from mid WWII also for the Tailorcraft Auster. It was produced in many variations from DH5220A to DH5220P/25. There were literally hunreds of variations on the original design. I haven't previously heard of the DH5220SC variety.

Statistically, most were made for the Tiger Moth. The 1941 date suggests that it was made as original equipment for a Tiger Moth. But it might be that it was made as a replacement prop for a Gypsy Moth that had been impressed into the RAF at the begining of the war in 1939; several were.

I'm sorry that I can't give an unequivocal answer.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Propeller Identification

Thanks Bob for the comments.

Comment

Airplane propeller

Bob I wanted to add to my previous note this is an excellent site and we really appreciate the help in solving a family mystery.

Comment

Working...
        X