Lewis propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis propeller

I have a friend who just bought a recently restored Luscombe 8A. It was damaged in a windstorm in 1953 and stored until recently found. It has a Lewis propeller on it and I am wondering if it is the correct prop for the plane. I looked at the Lewis prop application list on the Modern Propeller website and couldn't find it there. The following is stamped on the prop:
    SER 3118
    DES L11B-44
    Log books on the plane are incomplete on the plane so they have been of no help. Thanks.
    Steve McGuire

When you say "correct prop" the answer is that it was appropriate to use on that plane under Type Certificate 788, but that type certificate expired on December 31, 1944, so it's not approved for use on certificated aircraft after that date.

In other words, it would fit but is not approved. I would check with an A&P to find out the legal issues involved, assuming that it would even be airworthy in the first place. Lots of things happen to wood (and metal) in almost 60 years that could easily affect airworthiness.
    Dave

Comment

Lewis propeller

Dave......
      Thanks for the reply. I went to the FAA website to see if I could verify what you had sent me. I found a different answer. The type certificate for the 11B propellers (my friend's is an 11B-44) expired on December 31, 1954 and any propeller MANUFACTURED after that date cannot be put on a certificated airplane.
      The type certificate for the 11 series (not 11B series) propellers expired on April 6, 1944 and any propeller MANUFACTURED after that date or having a serial number above 2633 cannot be put on a certificated airplane.
      Again, thanks for the help. Hope this clears up any confusion.
      Steve McGuire

Comment

Thanks. So I'm guessing then that it boils down to airworthiness, and that would depend on inspection by a certified mechanic. I know I had a perfectly normal looking wooden prop on my J3 that had to be replaced due to very tiny little cracks in the metal sheathing.
        Dave

Comment

Lewis prop

Dave......
          The prop was inspected and refurbished by the AI that did the restoration. My friend has decided to take the prop to a nearby AI that specializes in antique wooden airplane restorations and have him take a look at it too. The prop does look to be in good condition. Thanks again. Neat forum
          ......Steve

Comment

Working...
          X