Prop Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Identification

I received an email from Deanna Burns who needs help in identifying an American prop. Please help if you can.

With kind regards,

Bob

My father-in-law was cleaning out his den when he came across an old wooden propeller that has been inside his house for many years. He would like to sell it. It is in excellent condition. The numbers on the prop are Model # 85LY5, SER 77856, HP 185, RPM 2550. We believe the prop. was airworthy and from the 1930's or early 1940's. I would greatly appreciate any information you might have as to the value of this item.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

That is a Sensenich prop for a Stinson L5 with a Lycoming O 435 engine. The serial number indicates it was manufactured between 1932 and 1942. As Dave says, condition is everything. Since the manufacturer's name wasn't mentioned I am assuming the decals are missing which is indicative of refinishing. Therefore, without being able to see it I wouldn't hazard a guess. Can a good picture be posted here?

Lamar

Comment

Actually, Deanna called me on the phone as well, and apparently it's a Sensenich with old style "Lititz" decals and in "excellent" shape. I told her that eBay is the best method to liquidate it, IMHO, so it might show up there in a few weeks.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X