WW II propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW II propeller

I recently purchased a propeller and have pretty much exhausted the internet in trying to find out more info about the prop. I am sure its not really old, most likely WWII era but if anyone has any info at all I would greatly appreciate it. Here is the info as it appears on the hub:

top side:
    HRA 33003
    6/43

opposite side:
    DRG NO. HR 660
    CIRRUS MAJOR
    L.H.T.
    D. 6.333' P.4.85'

The only info I can come up with is "Cirrus Major" was an engine manufacturer from the UK, "L.H.T." is left hand twist, "6/43" is June 1943 and the 85' at the end of the line of numbers is blade length; other than that I cannot determine who made the blade or what type of aircraft it might have been used on. I am getting ready to move back to the US for good and need to get a value of the prop before the packers come to move it so its properly insured. If anyone knows of any other research sites or otherwise, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks...
    Attached Files

Actually, the blade length is D. 6.333' (diameter 6.333 feet) and the pitch is P.4.85' (4.85 feet).

Bob Gardner is the hands-down expert on British made props. Hopefully he'll see this and offer his opinion.
    Dave

Comment

Info

Dave, thanks for the info! Hopefully someone knows more about the prop but I do appreciate this info...

Chris

Comment

Chris,

The Blackburn Cirrus Major engine was a child of the 1930's and powered a variety of 1930's light aircraft, primarily the Blackburn B2 trainer and several Miles aircraft. It was used in the the DH60 Moth. It was a fairly obscure engine to be used in WW2. I suspect that it must have been made for the Blackburn B2 or possibly for a requisioned DH Moth.

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X