Gypsy. Major. IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gypsy. Major. IC

Could this wooden prop have been used on a Tiger Moth? I would like to get more information on this propeller that hung in my Dad's office for many years and then in mine. If it's of any help, I know my Dad owned and flew a Tiger Moth starting in the late 40's.

I'll add a picture if it helps, but here are the markings on the prop; L-D.H 5220-2 Gipsy.Major. IC. It measures 77'' in length.
    There are also two identical logos, one on each side with stylalized letters; RLLCO.

Thanks for any help.

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jrobert; 04-20-2010, 04:20 PM. Reason: information

Hello John,

It is indeed from a Canadian Built Tiger Moth and the prop was made by the Laidlaw Lumber Co.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Many thanks Bob,

So now I know that the prop., could possibly be the one in the picture that I have now attached to the post.

In the picture, circa 1949, my father has just returned from a fox hunt, Canadian style. I'm glad I still have the prop., the gun and the jacket, sadly not the Tiger Moth and thankfully not the fox.

Kindest regards,

John

Comment

Hi John,

That's certainly a Canadian ex-RCAF Tiger Moth. They were fitted with heated cockpits for Canadian Winters.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for the great information.
          Would I be pushing my luck to ask you if there is any information as to the production years for these Canadian Tiger Moths?

I have fond memories of being taken, every week-end, for a plane ride in the Tiger Moth. But, my Dad would always have someone else take me up. He was concerned if ever there was an accident ........

Took a spin around your very impressive site. It's now in my favorite list.

Thanks again,

Best Reagards,

John

Comment

I am most impressed by his propeller labeled as a German Heine, c1917. I don't know how much value the different kinds of wood sandwiched was for actual propeller use, but it sure makes one of the finest decorative props ever!

: ----- Original Message -----

Comment

Working...
            X