Hallo All,

I need help to identify this propeller:
    Information on the hub:

D 285
    SP 165
    180 PS

and painted the number: 12568
    Further the mark: "Pfadfinder"

Can anyone tell me if it is a WO1 prop and possibly the type airplane?
    Many thanks,

Greetings Gert
    The Netherlands
    Attached Files

Hallo Gert,

This is exciting news; the first example of a Pfadfinder propeller that I know of. May I use your photographs, please, in my book on German WW1 props.

Pfadfinder were compass makers primarily but also made accessories for aircraft. Very little is known about their props. In 1916 they made a few propellers and one was used on the experimental Albatros CVI. This was in effect the Albatros CIII strengthened to accept the Argus 180hp engine. Lambert and Cheesman suggest that only two CVI were made. Photos of the Albatros CVI show its prop to be similar to yours, with that offset look.

Pfadfinderkompass were a Berlin company with an address in Stubenrauchstrasse in Johannisthal.

There are suggestions that their props were designed by the famous Hellmuth Hirth but I have not yet explored this.

The data on your prop;
    serial number 122
    diameter 2850mm
    pitch 1650mm
    180ps (horsepower)

All of this matches Albatros C Type props and the 180ps Argus engine. So, it might well be that your prop comes from one of the two Albatri CVI's. I should add that I have a note that Axial also made a prop for the CVI.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Pfadfinder propeller

Hallo Bob,

sorry for my late response, i was a few days of. Many thanks for your help!
      Whitin a few weeks i will send you more foto's from my props. Of course you can use them in your on German WO1 propellers. I have severall German props from WO1. Can you tell me where i can find foto's of a Albatros CVI?

Kind regards,
      Gert

Comment

Hallo Gert,

The promise of photographs of more German props is most welcome. I await them with great interest. WW1 German props are very rare and I learn something from almost every one that I find, even if it is as minor as extending my database.

I have only found one photo of an Albatros CVI. It's in the Harleyford publication Reconnaisance & Bomber Aircraft of the 1914-1918 War. And it's poor quality but you can see the shape of the prop. Tell me if you find any better.

And send me the photos of the German props as quick as you can!!

met vriendschappelijke groeten,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Gert,

I have got round to updating my book on German props. I can't find any photographs of your Pfadfinder prop, other than those above. Did you send me some additional photos? If so, I have lost them and could you please send them again. Yours is the only pfadfinder prop that I know of.

Met vriendschappelijke groeten,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Hallo Bob,

sorry for my late response, next week i take a day off for photographing all my German propellers (as i promised you once...
            I will sent you the pictures than a.s.a.p.

Greetings from Holland,
            Gert

Comment

Working...
            X