Vickers Propellor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vickers Propellor

Wondered whether any of you chaps out there could help identify the age and usage of a wooden propellor. It has the following identification markings. Company logo on blades: "Vickers Ltd Crayford."
    On the hub.
    (1 side) 153.5 HP G2832V
    V2 1693
    SERIES 101
    (other side)
    ENGINE BEARDMORE
    PITCH 5.61
    DIA 9'6"
    Many thanks in anticipation of your co-operation in this matter. Based in the UK so any help or research I offer, please don't hesitate.

FWIW, it doesn't appear anywhere in the list of WW1 era British propellers in the Windsock Datafiles book. I'm not sure what time span the Beardmore engine covered, but it may be a post WW1 use.
    Dave

Comment

Vickers Prop

Thanks Dave. I think I've narrowed it down a little further. According to records, the Vickers Crayford factory produced armaments for the British Army during WW1 (Vickers Machine Gun) and aircraft like the FB5 "Gunbus." Towards the end of the war larger aircfaft like the Vickers Vimy were produced. However, it appears only 12 were completed, one of them making the first non-stop Atlantic crossing by Alcock and Brown in June 1919.
      However, Beardmore Engineering of Glasgow also produced aircraft and post war, Vickers bought a 60% stake in the Company, eventually pulling out in approx 1929.

Would I be right in assuming that the length (9'6") indicates it's manufacture closer to WW1?

Comment

Originally posted by russellbrazier View Post
        Would I be right in assuming that the length (9'6") indicates it's manufacture closer to WW1?
        While it's true that the larger wooden propellers tended to be from the WW1 era, it's also probably too broad a generalization for identification purposes. Prior to WW1, many of the aircraft engines were quite small and incapable of powering large props, and as aircraft engines improved after the war, smaller propellers could be used with higher RPM engines.

Maybe when Bob Gardner returns from his Christmas leave he'll be able to nail it down...
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X