Help! What do we have here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What do we have here?

We are cleaning out 3 old sheds (in Australia) belonging to my brother-in-law's mother & father.

We have found 2 large-ish wooden propellers amongst the clutter.

One is beautiful varigated light wood with markings stating "Wotan" 290cm tip to tip, the other is black with red tips measuring 230cm tip to tip.

What are they? What are they worth? I have Googled Wotan wooden propellers and get no results!

Cheers
    Sharon

German prop

The WOTAN prop is from Germany. I know that a.o. the famous Fokker D.VII aircraft and notorious Halberstadt bombers had (slightly smaller but similar) WOTAN props. Please provide more information (signs, measurements and numbers on the hub) and/or photographs. Good luck with further determination.

Comment

Hello Sharon,

I don't have a Wotan prop listed with the diameter of 2900mm, but lots at 3000mm and 2880mm. The diameter will be stamped on the prop, on or near the hub. D will indicate diameter and St the pitch. It will also give the engine, which at this sort of diameter might well be a Benz.

If in good nick, it will sell on eBay for around 700 gbp about 1400 usd. I would like to add the details to my book on German props, if I may, and hope you will post photographs of both props and more details of the markings stamped on them.

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X