Help id an old propeller and estimate it's value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help id an old propeller and estimate it's value

I still have my father's old propellor. If someone could give me information about it (year, model, airplane that used that kind, etc.) and also help me estimate a value, I would really appreciate it.

The propellor has the following carateristics :
    - 88 inches long
    - 8 holes
    - The hub has 9 1/2 inches diameter (outside) and the hole has 3 inches diameter and is 6 inches profond).
    - there are two inscriptions on both sides of the hub but it is very hard to read. On one side, it looks like SER R1850 written at the right side of 3 stamped round (looks like 3 pennies). On the other side, it looks like DRG 2006. But I cannot be certain of these inscriptions. Pictures can be seen at http://www.myspace.com/petrus1927 or I can send them by email upon request.

Thank you to the ones that will be able to help me.

You can't identify it for sure without the numbers, but it looks like a typical 1930's, 40's, 50's propeller for something like a Gypsy or Cheetah engine. Notice that it's left hand rotation, rather than right hand. Here are some similar looking ones.

Those seem to sell on eBay for something around $500, but prices are highly variable.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you. It's looks very similar to the first one presented on the page linked to your message.

Comment

I forgot to ask, is a left hand rotation propellor more rare that a right one?

Comment

Originally posted by petrus
          I forgot to ask, is a left hand rotation propellor more rare that a right one?
          A little bit, but they're very common.
          Dave

Comment

gypsy Major

we have a prop that is similar to that described however ours is red and has identification numbers that we are told id it is an early gypsy moth prop. we would like to sell it but do not know its value. any offers welcome at 0423175086// +61423175086 or

Comment

Working...
            X