Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propeller ID project

Gentlemen-
    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated !
    I am trying to ID my propeller-
    99 inches
    Paragon decals, markings-
    8'3 x 5.00
    right hand
    "R453" within 4 separate circles
    *1065* on outer hub surface

8 bolt, on 6 inch centers
    hub thickness- 4.25", center bore- 2.75", bolt size- 7/16"

Your site leads me to Hall-Scott A7A engine. Might this be from a Standard J-1 ?

It's certainly a very high probability, especially with the 6 inch bolt hole circle diameter. I think the "R453" is just an inspector's stamp, and doesn't help in identifying it.

It's likely one of the 25,000 wooden propellers that the American Propeller Company (Paragon) had produced by the end of WW1 or shortly afterwards. Sometimes finding the likely engine is the best you can do.
    Dave

Comment

Dave-

Thanks for your reply. The genetleman I acquired it from said something about his "Great Uncle" and "barnstorming".
      Not much to go on !
      It's never been refinished; it looks like it went from an airfield to someone's garage.

I'll keep poking around. Assuming that engine reference list is accurate, the Standard J-1 is the leading candidate.

WB

Comment

Barnstorming is a good bet, too. The Hall-Scott didn't see a lot of action after the early barnstormers who used it (including Lindbergh) because of its unreliability. Not that the OX5 was an awful lot better...
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X