Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss Propeller in Hawaii

Trying to decipher some history of a recent acquisition:
    The following is stamped on the face of the hub...

Curtiss Propeller
    #1082 Walnut
    Part N.O. 047315
    Liberty Engine 12 420 H.P.
    Standing RPM 1415
    Plane MB 28 NBS-1
    ASNO. 110689

Prop diameter is 10', and it is 7" thick. 8 bolt holes, and has 10 sheathing scallops and a sheathed tip. Will add pictures soon.

Thanks,

Dave Parker
    flyaloha@hawaii.rr.com

Dave,
    Since we spoke on the phone I looked through some files I have and I think the "MB" stands for Martin Bomber.

The listing comes from a McCook field publication (1921) and that line reads:

Airplane: Martin Bom'r
    HP Engine: Liberty 12
    Propeller: 047315 (although the "3" is a little hard to read)
    Blades: 2
    Standing RPM: 1420
    Approx Flying RPM: 1670
    RHT (for "Right Hand Tractor")
    Diameter: 10'4"
    Pitch: 5.74'

We may be able to figure out the "28 NBS-1" Somehow it sounds familiar. Here's the plane, however:

Dave

Comment

The "NBS-1" stands for Night Bomber, Short Range and further indicates that the propeller was for the Martin Bomber with Liberty engines.

Here's a link to more information. They mention the use of several of those in Hawaii. With those as search terms I'm sure there's much more info available on the web. I think I have the Peter Bowers book on Curtiss aircraft (referenced in the link above) if you need me to look something up.

So when all is said and done, if the stampings can be construed to read "MB2/NBS-1" then it's almost certain it's a match. It should also be 10 feet, 4 inches in length.
      Dave

Comment

Curtiss propeller restoration

searching for leading edge cladding and liberty hub to restore propeller and convert to a belt-driven ceiling fan. Stumped

Comment

Working...
        X