• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Id

Hi I have this
    i was told it was German ?
    what you Think ??? Any closer ID ??
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

I think the aircraft in the photograph is an Albatros 2-seater; possibly a C.Ill. Of course, that doesn’t prove that the propeller came from this aircraft (I think it probably didn’t), although it might support the suggestion that the propeller is German.

N.B: The following is entirely speculative and open to correction.

My first though was that there are similarities with this propeller: https://woodenpropeller.com/LVG.html
    That isn’t to suggest that the are the same, just that certain characteristics of your propeller are consistent with WW1 era German manufacture.

As regards the markings, there isn’t much to go on but the style of the font is consistent with that on some German propellers; my interpretation of their meaning would be:

N 194 = Serial Number.
    D 276 = Diameter of propeller in centimetres.
    145 = I would expect to see the prefix “P” here, or “S” on a German propeller but probably refers to the pitch of the propeller in centimetres.​​​​​
    100 = Most likely refers to the power of the engine; usually there would be a prefix or suffix: HP, CV etc. depending on nation of origin. If German it would be PS.

If I am correct, then the ratio of pitch to diameter doesn’t suggest a high performance application such as a fighter; more likely a training or reconnaissance aircraft.

If the photo frame and the corresponding piece on the other side of the hub can be removed without damaging anything, this might reveal further clues: the number of bolt holes for instance, and whether there are any further markings.
    Last edited by Mtskull; 02-20-2024, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X