Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Brian,

I have only two props in my data with a central hole of 50mm :
    - Ratmanoff serial L for a Morane fitted with a 50HP Anzani used in French flying schools (diameter 2.30 m, pitch 1.35 m, blade width 204 mm, hub thickness 95 mm, 6 or 8 bolt holes for 10 mm bolts, no bolt circle size indicated). This data from SFA approved props (data from 1917 but concerning all WW1 props).
    - Regy serial 310 (data from Gorell American documents: I think D Bahnson have them) : diameter 2.50 m, pitch 1.95 m, blade width 240 mm, hub thickness 100 mm, no bolt size nor bolt circle size indicated. This serial 310 with a 50 mm central hole is not attributed to a plane in Gorell documents. but the same serial is indicated for Nieuport 11 and 21 with a 80HP Le Rhone. It could be an error (all other uses of this serial 310 have a larger central hole), or an "old" use (beginning of WW1 ?).

Regards,
    PM

Comment

Originally posted by MrJ View Post
      Ok so I get that it could be enlarged. That would make sense. Especially as the hole is wider on a plane, you can imagine the force from the blades wearing the hole.

Given that, what were the aircraft fitted with an Anzani engine?

Regards,
      Brian
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzani...s#Applications

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
        Hi Brian,

I have only two props in my data with a central hole of 50mm :
        - Ratmanoff serial L for a Morane fitted with a 50HP Anzani used in French flying schools (diameter 2.30 m, pitch 1.35 m, blade width 204 mm, hub thickness 95 mm, 6 or 8 bolt holes for 10 mm bolts, no bolt circle size indicated). This data from SFA approved props (data from 1917 but concerning all WW1 props).
        - Regy serial 310 (data from Gorell American documents: I think D Bahnson have them) : diameter 2.50 m, pitch 1.95 m, blade width 240 mm, hub thickness 100 mm, no bolt size nor bolt circle size indicated. This serial 310 with a 50 mm central hole is not attributed to a plane in Gorell documents. but the same serial is indicated for Nieuport 11 and 21 with a 80HP Le Rhone. It could be an error (all other uses of this serial 310 have a larger central hole), or an "old" use (beginning of WW1 ?).

Regards,
        PM
        I think the hole is 49mm, not 50mm. Especially after looking more closely. Does that make a difference?

Comment

I’m wondering if this could be a Caudron G3 given that it was also built in the U.K.?

Comment

Originally posted by MrJ View Post

I think the hole is 49mm, not 50mm. Especially after looking more closely. Does that make a difference?
            Hi,

Sorry for a mistake in an upper post, I have no 49 mm central hole in my prop data (which don't exclude it exists).

With the low pitch and diameter I don't think it can be used to fly a Caudron G3. It could be a "penguin" prop.

Regards,
            PM
            Last edited by pmdec; 01-30-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

What is a penguin prop?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonfrog View Post
                What is a penguin prop?
                Hi,
                It's a prop for a "Penguin" plane

A plane with wings too short and an engine too small for taking off. In England, they were essentially Breese with Bleriot like shorten wings and 28HP 3 cylinder ( https://www.cradleofaviation.org/his...e_penguin.html ). Some brands in France, including Bleriot, using Anzani engines 25 to 50HP. Typical prop for Bleriot Penguin was Ratmanoff YA and LA serials.

PM

EDIT: Some corrections...
                Last edited by pmdec; 02-01-2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Wow, fascinating. I had not heard of this before!

Comment

Do we have any ideas on the other markings? The Type A4 for instance? Also, it has 6 holes, isn’t that unusual for the time?

Comment

Working...
                    X