Need help identifying a propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying a propeller

My brother found an old wood propeller and is asking my help in identifying it. I have done some research on my own but must admit that I am stumped. He feels that it is an early model, but I am not sure since some of the details indicate modern, such as size and bolt pattern. The details I have are; 6 bolt, about 54 inches, stamped with "Lackey Aircraft" Pottstown PENNA, some "fabric" on the ends. I did notice that it seems to be a pusher prop but that is just a hunch. I am new to forums but I will attempt to attach a picture, sorry for the poor quality. Any help I could get from the experts would be very much appreciated!
    Attached Files

I think it's a little too short for a certificated aircraft, but it might have been made for an ultralight. I don't recognize the manufacturer. The left hand rotation does suggest some other use or perhaps a pusher configuration.

What is that device that it's sitting on? If that's part of the assembly it almost suggests some non-aviation type of application, e.g. a windmill of some sort.
    Dave

Comment

I will have a chance to get some better pics this weekend and get them posted. My brother has an enormous antiques collection (but is not a propeller expert) and really seems to feel that it is pre 20s. He is wondering if it might be from an early teens rear engine plane. Is there anything you can see that rules that out? Also the piece it is attached to is just a mount. When he found it, it was being used to circulate air in some barn.

Comment

Originally posted by cameljlj View Post
        I will have a chance to get some better pics this weekend and get them posted. My brother has an enormous antiques collection (but is not a propeller expert) and really seems to feel that it is pre 20s. He is wondering if it might be from an early teens rear engine plane. Is there anything you can see that rules that out? Also the piece it is attached to is just a mount. When he found it, it was being used to circulate air in some barn.
        I think the barn circulation fact is relevant, and it may have been designed to do just that.

I doubt very much that it is an "early" (WW1 era) propeller. Engines of that era turned at slow RPMs, so a propeller of that diameter would provide very little thrust. The overall design is "modern" - thin, straight blades, narrow tips, 6 bolt holes, etc. That design evolved as engines were able to develop higher RPMs and more power. I'm guessing that it was manufactured much later than suspected, probably after the 40's, and probably for something other than an aircraft (at least a certificated aircraft designed to carry a pilot).
        Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info. I tend to agree with you on this so I will try to convince my brother. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
          X