Is this an airplane propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an airplane propeller?

I purchased this propeller in in Belgium 10 years ago while on an antique buying trip and and shipped it back to the U.S. I cannot see any identifying marks stamped on it anywhere. It's a gorgeous propeller from something, just trying to figure out what. Any ideas? It's 12 feet long.
    Attached Files

It's an aircraft propeller. The general shape and laminations and the brass sheathing suggest a prop from the end of WW1, c1917-18.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Having looked closely at the woods, they appear to be ash and elm. This is a tenuous guess of course, but if so, then it is German c1918.

Bob
      Bob Gardner

Comment

Propeller ID

Thanks Bob. Since I could not see any serial numbers or identifying marks, I wasn't certain. I do want to sell it. Do you recommend putting it on eBay or somewhere else?

Comment

Before you put it up for sale, lets try to identify the prop.

Is it exactly twelve feet long or is that a generalisation. It translates into mm as 3660mm. I haven't recorded a prop of that diameter; the nearest are 3300mm, which occurs often, particularly on Imperial German Naval props; and 3500mm which occurs on another naval prop. This is only six inches different from yours. Please measure it accuarately. Also please post a close up of the brass sheathing on both sides of the prop.

The prop data would have been stamped onto the sides of the hub and sometimes on a blade. The paint surface, which is not original by the way, might show slight indentations where the paint has sunk slightly into the stamped data. Probably looking at it at a shallow angle against the light will reveal something.

When we have this info, identification might be possible.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Note also that it's a left hand thread.
            Dave

Comment

Hi,
              Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Note also that it's a left hand thread.
              And that the shielding has a very "modern" shape and that there is some kind of protection between the metal and the wood (which is, IMHO, also "modern").
              For me, this prop could be French (Régy or Merville) and from the 40's or even later. Perhaps a rear prop (pusher) for a seaplane.

Regards,
              PM

Comment

It's exactly 11'-11-3/4" so maybe it's not European? I will upload additional photos. I've scoured the propeller from all angles and canot catch a glimpse of any stamps or indentations where stamps would be on it.

Comment

More photos

Here are some additional photos of the propeller.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X