Identification Request For Small Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification Request For Small Wooden Propeller

This is an unidentified wooden propeller that clearly is of great age. I do not know anything about it as there are no markings on it other than a "V" character which may be an identity stamp or a balance point. Therefore, I would welcome any comments and information from viewers. The propeller appears to be made from mahogany or similar hardwood. It measures 76 cm long with the blades being 8 cm wide. The hub is 6 cm deep with 8 small holes around the central hole. I do not know how to determine the pitch or other characteristics of this propeller. Indeed, I am not even sure if it was fitted to an aeroplane or some other machine. However, it clearly has signs of being clamped into position and there are nicks along the leading edges of the blades.
    Attached Files

I am unsure what this prop is. At about two-and-a-half feet in diameter it is rather large for an auxiliary prop (the sort of prop used on an aircraft to generate power from the air-stream for pumping fuel or generating electricity) and such a prop would not be transmitting sufficient power to warrant eight bolt-holes.

And it is too small to power a small aircraft, and again, such a prop would be unlikely to need eight bolt holes.

I think it must be a model aircraft propeller from a model aircraft of a WW1 type.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi,

Yes, probably model or toy aircraft from the 20's or 30's. Look at this ad :

http://i78.servimg.com/u/f78/14/14/01/64/imgp6510.jpg

Sizes are from half foot to two feet. There were other makers, from arounf 1912 to late 30's.
      They are not uncommon on eBay France and sold from 10 to 50 euros (higher prices only when decals and original varnish are present.

Regards,
      PM

Comment

Working...
      X