Book; German WW1 Aircraft Props

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book; German WW1 Aircraft Props

A note to let forumites and friends know that the first book in my series on German Aircraft props of WW1 is now available from my website.
    http://www.aeroclocks.com/PrintedBoo...p_Industry.htm

We have taken note that the series on British WW1 aircraft props, which is now complete, was too expensive for some and in consequence the German series will have soft covers and a lighter grade of paper which reduces the price from around £40.00 GBP to £27.00 GBP. This makes the book lighter so the postage is therefore less as well.

This first book is an introduction to the subject. It describes the structure of early German aviation, lists the propeller designers and the process of manufacture including the Idflieg regulations. How to identify a German Propeller. It includes a number of rare documents, including:

The Propeller Merkbuch issued to units in the field which was a note book describing how to use, care and fit propellers.

The report of the Inter-Allied Control Commission into German propeller production during the war.

These two documents are shown in German and French respectively with translations to English. It became evident during my research that the German makers interviewed by the Allied Control Commission were able to mislead them considerably!

Also included is the British Admiralty forensic report into the propellers of all the airships shot down over Britain.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

An update; three more books are in the pipeline which will describe makers and their props in sequence. Part One is at the printers and will be published soon, probably after Christmas.

Many forumites have contributed photographs of WW1 German aircraft and propellers. If you have any photographs or props of makers from Germania to Wotan please tell me.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner

Comment

Another fantastic book from you

Hi Bob

"The German Propeller Industry 1914-19" (like your other books!) is absolutely amazing, a sheer pleasure to read, it covers so much information unheard of - what a fantastic job! I can only imagine how much perseverance is needed to put something like this together, I am deeply impressed. Your work is the single holy grail of information about old wooden propellers, a legacy for generations to come.

@Prop-Aficionados
      This book simply makes our propellers and their history come to life again. I look at my props in a very different way than before having read this book.

This is a Christmas present all of us are going to like.

Cheers from the Swiss Alps
      Juerg

Comment

Thank you Juerg for your kind words. I'm delighted you like my book.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

And this quote comes from Cross & Cockade International (the Journal of the British WW1 Aviation Historical Society)

REVIEW OF BOB GARDNER’S BOOK; THE GERMAN PROPELLER INDUSTRY 1914-1919
          CROSS & COCKADE, WINTER 2013, VOLUME 44/4
          Another real gem from Bob Gardner, and just in time for Christmas! First published on CD, it is now made handsomely accessible in A4 softback format.
          This volume gives an overview of propeller production in Germany, in its historical, technical and military context, from its origins to post-war firewood. Three companion volumes of manufacturer listings, in the style of the British set, are in preparation.
          Beautifully illustrated throughout, mainly in colour, this fascinating in-depth study covers technical aspects of the design and identification of propellers, key figures in the development of propeller technology, (Chauvière, Reissner, Prandtl and Hirth) and the relevant administrative structures of German military aviation. Further sections include: the selection of timbers (much influenced by the British naval blockade), finishes, repairs, production quantities and interpretation of the many stamps and markings to be found on propellers.
          The illustrations in a short section on post-war propeller artefacts include one truly amazing object, something, in the words of 'Saki' (himself a WWI casualty) 'than which there is none other like.’
          As well as this sidelight on the 'world of propellers' the book includes a full reproduction of an official Idflieg publication of 1916, with summary translation, on the procurement, testing and handling of propellers, plus the post-war Allied Control Commission Report on this sector of the German aviation industry; a report which, in the light of the author's research, reveals how the inspection commission was, he says, 'continuously hoodwinked' in the course of its work.
          A final section of vivid illustrations identifies the various types of wood, three, or even four, in one item, that give so many German propellers their striking and distinctive appearance. Excellent value: buy now!
          I'm pleased to have already received my copy of this book and enjoy it immensely. Thanks to Bob for all of his many contributions directly on this forum as well!

Attached Files
          Last edited by Dave; 11-26-2013, 09:02 AM.
          Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave for adding the Cross & Cockade review to the forum. The book is selling much faster than any of the British prop books did. My guess is that German props are a little more interesting than British ones and they certainly have an artistic style about them. Another factor might be that I have reduced the cost by having soft covers and a lighter grade of paper. This reduces the cost from around £40.00 GBP to £27.00 GBP. [From €48-32 EUR and from $65-44 USD]. Also the book is lighter and postage is therefore reduced.

The three following books will describe each maker and his propellers. Part One is finished. It covers makers from Adastra to Garuda. It goes to the printers in early January.

Part Two describes makers from Germania to LZ and this is nearly finished.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
            X