Propeller Surface Conservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Surface Conservation

Hello: I am an Objects Conservator working in California. I would like to offer my conservation practice to anyone in need of treatment for a derteriorating propeller.
    In my conservation pracitice I use a Pulse Laser to remove unwanted material from either organic or inorganic surfaces. This laser gives me absolute precision and total control in this procedure. There is no use of toxic chemical solvents or abrasives.
    I am able to remove this unwanted material without making any direct contact with the underlying surface.

Thankyou very much

Neil Menard
    Last edited by nmenard; 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM.

Hi,
    Wooden propellers conservation is often a problem with missing or loosen materials. Anyway your post is very interesting! Are you able to remove, for example, an added layer of varnish without trouble for the original layer remains?
    Is your process and devices used in described somewhere?
    Regards,
    PM

Comment

Varnish Removal

Yes: I would be able to remove only the desired layer of Varnish witout making any contact with the underlying varnish you want to keep. Maybe you can send me a picture of what you have and I will look at it for you.

thanks

Neil Menard
      email...neilmenard@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Hi,
        Some pics of a revarnished Chauvière :

Quite all the extrados and hub has been revarnished by a stupid guy.

Side of the hub with serial and prop number:

Even the decals have been covered with a varnish. I don't know if the coat was too thick or if the varnish "condensed" later:

Can you removed this coat without damage for the decal nor the red-brown original layer?

And please, answer the question about publication (peer reviewed prefered!).

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Hello pmdec

Hello pmdec: Have you come to a conclusion about whether or not you would like to have me work on your propeller.
          I am very confident that I would be able to accomplish what you are looking for.

Neil Menard

Comment

Working...
          X