prop identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop identification

Hello, I'm new here and looking for information on a propeller.

length from tip to tip 3.06 m
    6 Bolt holes

Reschke ges. gesch W 1914
    No. 21093
    16Z
    260 hp Mercedes D 312, SE180
    Attached Files

Guten Tag Dschu,

Your propeller dates from the first half of 1917. It was made by the company of Franz Reschke GmbH in Berlin.

The data translates as;

21093 Serial number
    16Z I don't know what this is. It might be the word ZUG indicating it was a tractor prop
    260hp Merc This describes the Mercedes D IV engine. I assume that this reads 260PS which you have translated for us into 260hp
    D312 Durchmesser 312cm; the diameter. I note that your prop is 14mm shorter than the quoted 312cm, which is well within the variation allowed by Idflieg
    SE180 ST180 Steigung 180cm; the pitch of the prop

It is unusual at this stage of the war to find a six bolt-hole hub. Almost all had eight bolt hole hubs. But the Mercedes D IV engine did use a six bolt-hole hub.

Your prop was probably used on the Albatros C XII for which Reschke was a known maker.

The date 1914 on the Eisernes Kreuz is the date that Kaiser Wilhelm authorised its activation. (The two previous occasions were 1813 and 1870).
    The letter W is the cipher of Kaiser Wilhelm II). It is not the date the propeller was made.

Tschüss,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

It's seven days since I replied to this man. There has been no acknowledgement from him. I suspect that a by-product of the human-computer interface is that people now discount the possibility that they are communicating with a fellow human. It would be ludicrous to google some subject and then thank Google for the reply. Researching an answer such as this one on a Reschke propeller and drafting my reply takes me around an hour. I'm not entirely altruistic, of course. I benefit by gaining some more data for my database. I'm sure that had I held a door open for this man he would have thanked me.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
        It's seven days since I replied to this man. There has been no acknowledgement from him. I suspect that a by-product of the human-computer interface is that people now discount the possibility that they are communicating with a fellow human. It would be ludicrous to google some subject and then thank Google for the reply. Researching an answer such as this one on a Reschke propeller and drafting my reply takes me around an hour. I'm not entirely altruistic, of course. I benefit by gaining some more data for my database. I'm sure that had I held a door open for this man he would have thanked me.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Worse yet the software is configured to automatically notify him by email that a reply has been posted to his original question. This forum got set up because I got tired of replying to email inquiries and getting no response in return, but even that doesn't solve the problem as well as we'd like it to.
        Dave

Comment

Hello, sorry for my late response.

I was very happy about the quick response, but I had a lot of stress and therefore today is the first time back in forum.

I can only apologize again for this, you are doing a great job.

Comment

No problem. The comments by Bob and me are more likely directed in a general direction.
            Dave

Comment

Thank you Dschu! I was glad to be able to help you and grateful for your data which I have added to my database. It's a record of every known surviving German prop from WW1. After several years of research I have records of about 600 propellers.

With friendly Greetings.

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
              X