Please help, new here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, new here!

HI, I am new here, dont know alot about aviation, and have a prop that im trying to find information about for a friend. The prop is 84 inches long from tip to tip and has 8 holes in it. The stamps on the side say B.P. 247, 1650 A 8 4" 6 0 R.H.. I will add a pic, but it is the only pic i have or can get of this for the time being, so i hope someone will know what this was used for just by the lettering alone. I dont know if its early or modern, but any info would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!
    Attached Files

Still looking for someone that can help me....

I posted a few days ago about a prop, and anyone that can give me some information on it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comment

Nothing with those numbers shows up in the reference material that I have.
      Many of these simply are not identifiable, as there were hundreds of different models and manufacturers during WW1 and beyond.

The size and hub characteristics of yours suggest late teens, early twenties, but the shape is a little more "modern" looking.

See this page for instructions on measuring the hub dimensions and eliminating certain engine possibilities.
      Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. I dont have this prop with me, but without knowing for sure what kind it is or what it was used on, can you give me a rough estimate on what it would be worth if it was from the teens or early twenties?
        Thanks again!
        Dawn

Comment

The problem is that there is a HUGE difference in value based on age, condition, and accurate knowledge of its application. Absent all 3 of those (and all three are unknown at this point, as near as I can tell) then it's just a gamble for a potential buyer to hope that all or some of those features will be known at some point in the future, which to me seems unlikely.

I'm guessing that it would sell for a few hundred dollars on eBay on that basis, but the best way to find that out would be to list it and see what happens. See this page for further information.
          Dave

Comment

Thank you so much for the information. I will pass it along and see if i can find any more information about it. He said the prop was handed down from his father and he has had it for about 40 years. I dont know how long his father had it before he gave it to him. It could be pretty old, but like you said, with out knowing for sure, it will be hard to price it. But thanks again for all your help!!! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
            X