Wright Flyer prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright Flyer prop

My husband and I have a very old wooden propeller that we believe dates back to 1912 and was built for the Wright Flyer (please see enclosed pictures). It is 102 inches in length (8 ft 6 in) and weighs approximately 10.6 lbs. It bears the insignia “Paragon, Baltimore Maryland U.S.A.” with “Paragon” in an oval set over a set of yellow wings. The logo is 5 inches x 1.5 inches. Because of its unusual size and cross mount, it is believed to be a rear propeller of the size and type used on the Wright Flyers. I believe it was once on display at the Bendix Aviation Corporation when they were located in South Bend, Indiana.

We are interested in selling this unique piece of aeronautical history, and would like to see it displayed in a setting befitting its place in the history of aviation.

Any information you can provide regarding value and/or parties interested in purchasing it would be greatly appreciated. I have attached several pictures; the last one is a picture of a Wright Flyer showing the two rear wood propellers.
    Attached Files

Good Morning and welcome to the forum.

A few minor observations to begin with. The square cross-section and narrow hub is typical of a Wright designed prop. And Paragon, the prop maker, moved to Baltimore in 1912 I believe. So the prop is certainly of Wright design and made in 1912 or later.

The aircraft photograph you show is, I think, an early Wright Flyer where the prop blades are long and thin. Later models, around 1908-10 I think, had angled tips. So, this one will be later still which matches the date of the Paragon decal.

This is as far as this Englishman is willing to tread on American territory. Dave, who started this forum, and other forumites will know more than me.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

On the question of selling it, provenance is everything. If you know its history back to the Wrights and have photographic or written proof of this, the prop will be worth many thousands of dollars. One sold in America a decade or so ago that had been given to a family personally by one of the Wrights for around $50,000 USD, I think.

Conversely, if you have no evidence at all, the prop will remain just a curiosity of little or no value. You might wish to do some research with Bendix, to see what they know of its origin.

The best way of selling it is to put it into the best auction house in America where people can bid for it in open court.

Best of luck.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I know my husband got it from his then father-in-law who was in charge of the "museum" at Bendix Aviation, and at some point he was told to get rid of the exhibits and management "didn't care what he did with them" so he gave this prop to my husband. This was many years ago - 1970 or earlier. I will find out and post more when husband returns from his fishing trip.

From all the research I've done, I'm sure it was made in the 1912-1915 period, and probably closer to 1912. I'm also sure it was made for a Wright Flyer, though I'm not confident it was ever mounted on a plane or used in flight. I have scoured the internet and I don't know if there is another one like it anywhere unless it is mounted on a Flyer in a museum somewhere. Obviously it became obsolete by the time WWI came about, and then just became a curiosity.

Comment

Just a suggestion!

Seeing how you have a piece of history there that is indeed made for the Wright flyer, and being that the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. has the best collection and data base around, some pictures of your prop to the crew at Silver hill and the other departments at the Museum will be the place to really get any real useable information about your prop. Bear in mind, once sold for just common currency, that prop cant be replaced. What a treasure to simply keep.

Sincerely,
          Dennis Hicklin
          Seattle Washington
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
            On the question of selling it, provenance is everything. If you know its history back to the Wrights and have photographic or written proof of this, the prop will be worth many thousands of dollars. One sold in America a decade or so ago that had been given to a family personally by one of the Wrights for around $50,000 USD, I think.

Conversely, if you have no evidence at all, the prop will remain just a curiosity of little or no value. You might wish to do some research with Bendix, to see what they know of its origin.

The best way of selling it is to put it into the best auction house in America where people can bid for it in open court.

Best of luck.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Do you know if any auction houses that deal in aviation artifacts and objects? According to my husband, the only other one he has ever seen or knows of is in the Smithsonian.

Also is there anything you can tell me about the Paragon logo on this propeller? I have seen other Paragon logos that have the words "AMERICAN PROPELLER & MFG. CO." across the top of the logo. The logo on this propeller does not contain those words. Which version would have been the earlier version?

Thanks for your input.

Comment

I can't offer any help I'm afraid. Dave who lives in the States will be able to advise on the date of your decal and on the best auction house to put it in.

With kind regards from Britain,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Concerning Paragon Propellers and the logo, I am posting a picture of the logo from my prop compared to a stock photo online. As you can see, the one from mine on the left does not contain the words "AMERICAN PROPELLER & MFG. CO."

FYI there are 4 of these logos on the prop, one on each side of the blade. None of them look like they ever contained the words on the top, so I don't attribute the absence to wear, as there is absolutely no trace of yellow above the black oval on any of the logos. And if you look closely at the letters inside the oval spelling PARAGON, there is a marked difference, especially noticable in the letter "G".
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pepper46; 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Could you post a clear close up of each side of the hub?

Regards,
                  PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
                    Hi,

Could you post a clear close up of each side of the hub?

Regards,
                    PM
                    Sure thing. Will do tomorrow morning - Pacific Daylight Time.

Comment

OK, here you go. My close vision isn't great, and I'm not using a good camera, so if you are looking for something that you don't see here, ask. Also, I'm curious as to why you are interested in the hub?
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is the other side:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Take a look at this propeller.

"http://woodenpropeller.com/Paragon1912.html"

It's a rare early Paragon made when the company was still in Washington. The logos have "American Propeller Company"' suggesting that when yours was made it might have been during a transition in company name after the move to Baltimore.

That page also has a link to one of their brochures.
                          Dave

Comment

That's what I was thinking too Dave.

Interesting page of the brochure you have there. Do you have the whole thing scanned by any chance?

Comment

Yes, I have it somewhere at home.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X