propeller identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propeller identification help

Hi, I have a propeller that has been in my family for over 50 years and can't seem to be able to identify it.It is dark wood either mahogany or walnut. It's 9'6" long with brass/copper tips. The hub is 71/4" thick with a 8"bolt circle ( with 8 1/2' bolt holes).The center bore is 31/8" in diameter.The only numbers stamped on hub are 738 and FCR. If you have any information that you can pass along it would be appreciated, Thank you

Sounds like a prop from one of the Navy flying boats in the teens. A picture will help.
    Dave

Comment

Sorry for the delayed picture, but here it is. I appreciate your help in identifying.

Comment

I can't identify it specifically, as I have no record of that drawing number, but it's almost certainly a Liberty propeller for one of the Navy Flying Boats being developed at the end of WW1. Check hub dimensions to see if it's consistent with a Liberty hub.
        Dave

Comment

Ok, great. Is there any way of determining what the value of such a propellor would be?

Comment

Keep looking on eBay for similar ones that have sold. It's a wide range, and having the correct usage (aircraft) helps tremendously, since that's the first thing people want to know about it.

Other factors, like original undamaged condition, are also a big plus, and yours appears to have that going for it, but it's hard to tell much in that regard without actually seeing it.

Of course, the most reliable way to tell what it's worth is to put it on eBay and see what it sells for.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X