Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop blade ID req'd, please

Hi,

I found this propellor blade recently in a 'junk' shop here in England, thought it looked interesting and bought it. So with reference to the attached pictures, I hope you might be able to help give me some idea what aeroplane it might have belonged to.
    It's 48'' long x 8'' across, is made of 6 layers of wood (I think?) and the tip is canvas covered (painted green) with green painted edges at it's base. There are also 5 rows of dowels across it's length.
    Thanks in advance!

Regs
    B
    Attached Files

That"s almost impossible to identify. There are just too many possibilities to be able to narrow it down with any accuracy.
    Dave

Comment

Hi,

From the shape and size think it's a BE2C or D propeller blade, probably a T5291.

Cheers,

David.
      Last edited by Garuda; 11-24-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Post deleted and sent by PM (too harsh words...).

Regards,
        PM
        Last edited by pmdec; 11-24-2012, 07:02 AM. Reason: Deleted and sent by PM

Comment

Hi again B,

After looking at a drawing of the T 5291 I think I might be wrong. I was only going by the photos you posted, and as Dave said it's almost impossible to identify with any certainty. After looking at another BE2C propeller drawing, it is probably a better match for the AD535LH propeller for the 75 HP Renault engine. It's the general size, shape, and distinctive straight trailing edge that make it look like a BE2 propeller to me.

The AD535LH has 6 points where the sections were specified, which is where I believe the pegs were fitted, but as with the ID of the blade I can't be certain by any means. It is possible that the blade you have has been cut in such a way that the 6th row may have been left with the boss. The AD535LH has a tip radius of 56mm, and I could calculate the distances between the pegs if you think I might be on the right track. It also has 6 laminations, although I know what you mean, they can be very difficult to count. The maximum blade width, measured across the flat rear side of the blade is 205mm, which is almost exactly the 8" you quoted.

The AD535LH laminations are slightly thicker than the typical three quarter Inches for British propellers, at 21mm. This gives a total thickness of 126mm.

Regards,

David.

Comment

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your last post, but I have been otherwise occupied. I would like to thank you very much for your efforts on this one and I am very grateful for this information. I would like to add that there are indeed six rows of dowels not five, one row is obscured by by the green painted canvas.
            While on the subject, is there a particular reason for the green paint on the tip and the base?

Regs
            B

Comment

Working...
            X