Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat 250hp hub

Hi guys,

I'm new to the world of early props having just got my first hub today!

It came to me with two cap badges fixed to it and a car clock in the middle but once they were removed it's quite respectable.

I believe it's WW1 but other than that I need some help...here's the info...

Ab7685
    250 hp Fiat
    D2700
    P2360

Any information would be excellent

Many thanks

Robert

Not near my reference material, but I should be able to reference that drawing number by tomorrow, unless Bob or someone sees this first.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, I look forward to hearing about my new lump

Comment

'Morning Robert,

The data on your prop translates as;
        AB7685 The drawing number of the British Air Board, formed in late 1917
        250 hp Fiat. The F.I.A.T. aero-engine rated at 250hp
        D2700 Diameter in mm
        P2360 Pitch in mm

The drawing number you quote does not exist in my database. A run of drawing numbers just before yours was for a Hispano-Suiza powered SE5A with diameter of 2414m and pitch of 1710mm. None of these numbers are similar to your data in any way.

But the drg no AB7865 was for the 260hp Fiat engine with a diameter of 2820mm and pitch of 2360mm. It was used on the DH4 and DH9 bomber aircraft.

So, it might be that you, or more probably the man who stamped the prop, got the drawing number wrong by transposing two digits. If this is true the smaller diameter on your prop of 2700mm might have been one of the first props for this drg no or an experimental prop, before the Board decided upon the diameter of 2820mm.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Robert,

A postscript. Are there any other data on the prop? Small AID numbers in small square boxes? a G no written as G*** and a N number written as N**
          A serial number stamped on the face of the hub.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-18-2012, 06:15 AM.
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Wow Bob, what a wonderfully comprehensive reply! Much more than I'd hoped for.

As to the PS comments, I do see a letter followed by "47" - unfortunately I can't make the letter out...is that any use?

Once again thank you for a sterling reply!

Comment

Working...
            X