Help with Hartzell Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Hartzell Prop

I have an old wooden prop that I acquired from an estate sale. Unfortunately the people selling it had no information about the prop. It is not in real good shape and I would really like to figure out how best to preserve it. I don't think it is worth a lot of money and I guess I don't think it ever will be, so I am inclined to see if it can be restored.

The prop is about 9' long and has eight attaching holes. It is stamped Hartzell Piqua Ohio and Design 707 Sr.No. 16116 on the hub on the other side it has a 1 and 2 stamped on each blade. There is yellow fabric covering the tips. Someone has painted a name on the one tip "Becke". Also someone has drilled holes to hang it up and it looks like it has been previously varnished. One tip is broken off, but I do have the piece. The fabric is missing on the back side of one of the tips.

I am attaching some pictures of it. I guess I would like information about the airplane it might have been used on. I would also like to know if it is so damaged now that it won't make any difference if I restore it.
    Attached Files

It's not worth restoring, but you are correct in the assumption that it's not worth a lot of money in its present condition as well. It's a commonly found propeller, there are hundreds of them in excellent original condition, and it's probably worth more in its rough condition that it would be with a 'perfect' restoration.

Information on the airplane can be found by looking up its drawing number here.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you for your quick response.

Well, if it is not worth restoring and not really worth anything now, then I will pretty it up as much as possible. I just plan to display it in my home and will it to the grandchildren. Let them figure out if I did it wrong or right.

Comment

That sounds like a good plan . . .
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X