Hhelp with ID - 13706 JN4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hhelp with ID - 13706 JN4

Hi folks my Dad has a propeller that could have come from a JN-4, there is no manufacturers name that we can find but there are some ID nos. including a Part No and size these follow it is stamped PART NO 13706 DIA 8FT 4 then X 2488 8c and 56896 additionally near the center it has 711.
    Thanks fro any info you may have.
    Tim

EDIT: Title edited to include drawing number. Photos added.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave; 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM.

The drawing number is 13706, which was specifically listed for a JN4, and the length is correct for that listing as well.

I'm wondering if the "8" before the "C" is actually an "S". "SC" preceeding a number usually indicated "Signal Corps" numbering.

Look at the bottom of this page and you'll see right below the listing for the R4, the listing for the JN4. That comes from a document I scanned years ago at the NASM showing various propellers in use at Cook Field in the late teens, early twenties.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you Dave, we were looking in that area but were not sure it was correct, the stamping on this one runs arround the hub outsid of the mounting bolt holes if that helps in any way.

Comment

Can you post a picture, and a close up of the hub?
        Dave

Comment

Yes or at least I hope so, Tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Dave it seems my skills are not up to sending the pictures to you through this forum but if you have an email address you would like to send me I believe I can get them to you that way.
            Thanks Tim

Comment

Try dbahnvt at comcast.net, or click on the tutorial at the top of the index page which describes how to post photos. Photos need to be compressed (reduced file size) to be processed by the site. Most cameras now take pictures that are several MB in size, when all that is needed is less than an tenth of that.
              Dave

Comment

Photos added. Title edited to include drawing number for future searches. Thanks for addition of the photos.

Incidentally, this style was known as a "toothpick" variety, and evolved as a means to use less lumber than some of the previous scimitar shaped props. A Jenny that lasted long enough could go through dozens of propellers over its lifetime.
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X