Need Help Identifying Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Identifying Propeller

I recently inherited a wooden propeller from my father (possibly WWII) or older and it appears to have in italic writing Fisher and a serial number of 9017678. I can't seem to locate anything with the name Fisher on it. It is 102 inches in length - dark wood. Thank you.

A prop of that size would usually have more stamped on it than that.

It might have been an early reject in the manufacturing process.

A picture might help narrow it down further. Was the hub drilled for 8 (or 6) bolt holes?
    Dave

Comment

Westmoore 9'2" Wooden Prop - Age ? Value ?

I have just acquired a Westmoore all Wooden Propeller
      Hub has 8 bolt pattern
      Impressed with:
      " No.2663R"
      Small "R. 712 " in a circle
      "U.S. 12"
      "9'2'' X "

Condition seems to be excellent - altho finish is dark and alligatored and decals are worn from years in a warehouse. There is a minor 3 inch long crack in the trailing edge on one side

This is remarkarbly similar to prop in original question.

Could someone tell me date parameters of manufacture, what type(s) of aircraft it may have been mounted on - and what approximate value it currently has considering above average condition.

I have already been told to leave it as is - unrestored - and that is what I plan to do.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I will add a couple of jpeg images of the prop to this message in a day or two.
      Last edited by Country at Heart; 07-03-2011, 04:27 PM. Reason: Add comment re photos

Comment

The "U.S. 12" typically refers to the Liberty engine, used in a variety of aircraft in the teens and twenties, especially by the Navy in their development of flying boats during that time.

A close look at hub dimensions would confirm that the hub was consistent with that engine.

Westmoore manufactured a large number of props in the teens and twenties, along with a number of other manufacturers. As better engines rapidly developed the propellers became obsolete and were sold off as surplus in early to mid twenties. Many of them never saw actual use on an airplane, as evidenced by the absence of any metal hub impressions on the wooden hub area.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X