Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ID Please

Hello,

I recently acquired this propeller with no history about it. There are no markings, stamps or decals of any kind that I can see. It is 8'6" long, the center bore is approximately 3 3/8" in diameter and there are 8 bolt holes. There is a wooden ring around the hub with several screws in it but I have refrained from removing it for fear of damaging something. Could some identifiers be under there? It appears to have been mounted previously. My guess from the photos I have found on the web is that it could be from a Curtiss Jenny. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Attached Files

It's possible, but so are lots of other possibilities. Without markings it's nearly impossible to know.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

I figured it was worth asking. Take care!

-Rich

Comment

That also seems like an unusually large center bore for that style of propeller, including those for a Jenny. It may have been cut out for something like a clock. I wouldn't worry about removing the plate, but doubt that you'll find stamped information underneath it.

Keep in mind that the manufacturing rejection rate for these was presumably fairly high, and I think the rejects got passed off as souveniers, etc.
        Dave

Comment

I am fairly certain that it was used at some time. First, it appears that it has been mounted due to indentations. Second, there also appears to be friction wear on the metal sheathing, not rub marks.

While the bore hole looks factory made, your mention of a clock makes some sense because there is some crude carving in the front portion of the hub area. Originally I wondered if it was for a metal hub but thought the woodwork would have been more carefully done had this been the case. I certainly could believe that an earlier owner cut it out for something like a clock. I will also remeasure the bore hole for a more exact measurement.

I still wish I could figure out who made it. Thanks for your input though.

-Rich

Comment

Working...
          X