Early A.V. Roe Propellor converted to Trench Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early A.V. Roe Propellor converted to Trench Art

Hello - I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I got this propeller from the estate of a trench art collector. It is "art" of a sort, made from a damaged propeller.

I don't think someone would have bothered to bring it back with them to the states unless there was a great personal story behind it. That story is long gone, but likely involved a plane downed over the trenches somewhere.

Propeller is 32" long on an 18" base (also made from a propeller part). It is laminated wood construction pegged with wooden dowels. There is no sign there was ever any metal covering on the leading edge.

Of course, the real feature is the beautiful "AVRO - A.V. Roe & Co." lacquer decal, approx. 4 1/2" long.

It looks like the world's expertise regarding wooden propellers is centered right here on this forum. Thank you in advance for any history that you can provide on this.
    Attached Files

As you have already surmised, when the history is lost it's probably gone forever, and the identifying numbers went with the hub, forever as well I'm afraid.

Pieces of propellers found their way into lots of forms of "trench" art, although in many if not most cases it may have been away from the actual "trenches", as planes often damaged the props on return to the base airfield or in training, and when shot down were usually done so away from the actual trench lines.

I have two AVRO 504 propellers, probably similar in style to yours. One is made of walnut and the other mahogany. The decals are likely the same, but have faded color over the years.
    Dave

Comment

Hello Dave - Thanks for the input. The wood on this one looks to be cherry. I am a military collector, but am going to let this one go as I really have no place to display it, so you will be seeing it in the sale section.

Comment

I'm guessing that's mahogany, but it's just a guess.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X