Is this a WW1 propeller please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a WW1 propeller please?

Hi this is my first thread. I have rescued a propeller that a neighbour was throwing in the skip. It belonged to his father who was in the RAF during the war. The markings on the hub are as follows.
    L AB 7931 RH D 2900
    EXP . DE H4 P 2380
    200 BHP G 200 N78
    G 200 N78
    Please does anyone recognise these? The propeller has part of one side missing.

It's likely WW1 era or very shortly after.

L AB 7931 - Drawing number ("AB"= "Air Board")
    RH "Right Hand" - direction of rotation
    D 2900 - diameter in mm
    P 2380 - pitch in mm

EXP . DE H4 probably "experimental", DeHavilland 4 (DH4)

200 BHP - horsepower

G 200 N78 - production number

The reference I have lists that model for use on the Bristol Fighter or the DH9, not 4, so it's possible that the "EXP" goes with using it on the DH4.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave

The EXP. (with L over the . ) is inscribed on the underside of a blade away from the other inscriptions and has a 1cm square with what looks like AFO OOB inscribed.

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
        The EXP. (with L over the . ) is inscribed on the underside of a blade away from the other inscriptions and has a 1cm square with what looks like AFO OOB inscribed.
        Might be time for a photo . . .

Some of those letters fit into logical sequences, so when something "looks like" such and such it's time to look at the actual stampings.
        Dave

Comment

Re photo

Will add photo as soon as possible when my son returns my camera. jennie

Comment

Working...
          X