Ten-foot Wooden Prop ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten-foot Wooden Prop ID

In 1970, i acquired a dark, wooden propeller with brass-colored sheathing on the tips and leading edges. My father claimed it had been hanging in a bar for several years, accounting for the 3/4-inch hole near the edge of each blade. The finish is fairly glossy, so it may have been varnished by a previous owner.

The hub has 8 holes, and the bolt circle is exactly 8 inches. The bore hole is 3-and-an-eighth or 3-and-a-sixteenth inches in diameter.

Markings on the hub are mostly difficult to read and do not photograph well.

The topmost letters seem to say Marin (indistinct) followed by a clearer USP, and then more entirely indistinct lettering.

Below that is a very large and clear N-9524 with traces of gold remaining in the recesses.

Below that is 10' 0" RH, which is clearly the length and direction of revolution.

The next two lines below that are barely legible and appear to be:
    S.E. 5171
    T-5-L

I seek your expertise in identifying the age, maker, and type of aircraft on which it was used. Many thanks.

"S.E." likely refers to "Steam Engineering", which was the Navy Department that was responsible for procuring propellers for the large variety of flying boats in development during the end of WW1. They were produced in large numbers then quickly became obsolete with the development of more sophisticated engines. Thousands were sold off as surplus in the early twenties.

I don't recognize the drawing number offhand. You should check the hub dimensions against this chart to eliminate some of the engine possibilities, but it certainly sounds like a Liberty engine.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I had checked the hub dimensions, and it certainly does look to be from a liberty engine. i was hoping you might have some insight to what some of the markings mean, especially the one that looks like Marin USP....

--Cliff

Comment

Post a photo of the propeller and a good quality close up of the stamped information. If you read some of the past threads you'll find quite a few examples of mis-represented stampings that were quickly clarified by asking, "Could those numbers and letters actually be .......?"
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X