Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helice Levasseur Prop ID?

Hello all,

I could use some help identifying a prop. please...

Decal says Helice Levasseur Brevete S.G.D.G.

Stamped on the prop:
    Seris 1145
    Numeric 32337
    CURTISS 90 CV

I can't make out any date codes or anything on the face, but it does look like there may be a couple "C" letter stamped with nothing identifiable between them.

The story is that my grandmother's friend Otto was from France. When he was back visiting, he saw some guys dismantling WWI aircraft and asked him if he could have one of the props. They agreed, and he brought it back to the U.S. with him.

It would be fun to know what aircraft this was from so I could find a picture on the internet.

Thanks for taking a look!
    Attached Files

I'll see if I can look up that Series number when I'm at home. It seems a little odd compared to most of the Levasseur props I've seen. It's left hand thread, which wasn't very common in most WW1 aircraft. It's light wood, which was also unusual for French props. The metal edges look "modern" in design but don't seem to cover the tips in a typical fashion, as if perhaps it's been shortened. The hub has been re-drilled for a different engine. It seems like a very high numerical serial number, and the serial number may be higher than the manufactured during WW1. (I'll have to check on that.)
    Dave

Comment

Hi Bruce,

It is a Levasseur French prop from about 1925. Please, post clear close up pictures of a all markings and perhaps it will be possible to know something more. Date is probably written aroud central hole as DD hexagone MM hexagone YY, except if the prop was not for use on an aircraft.
      Regards,
      PM

PS:If you can't post big clear pictures, send them to :
      pmdecombeix
      at
      yahoo
      dot
      com

Comment

More prop pics

Thanks very much for taking a look. More pics attached. Yes, I noticed that it does look a bit different from other Levasseur props that I've seen on the internet. It looks like there may have been some markings on the face but I can't make them out. Also it looks like there are a couple hex shapes on the face, but I don't see any markings between them.

More pics attached in next post...
        Attached Files

Comment

More prop pics #2

More pics attached. Thanks again for taking a look!
          Attached Files

Comment

The highest numbered Levasseur prop that I could find as of 1918 is Serie 643, so I do believe that yours is quite some time later.

It's also possible that as part of the redrilling, the boss was milled to a thinner size. It does look as if it's been heavily sanded or otherwise milled on the face.
            Dave

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the pictures.

Your prop is a classic Levasseur with all its markings except for airworthy French stamps, but it is normal if the prop was made for abroad (from French point of view). Numbers on flat side is a prop number duplication.

I don't think it has been sandpapered, as the decal are original ones and it is not possible to refinish the all prop and conserve them, except if people had Levasseur decals refitted (possible as Levasseur still exist until WW2).

It has the normal shape and shielding for post WW1 Levasseur props.

By chance, Levasseur numbers are easier than Chauvière (aren't they,Bob? … ). Serial numbers ("SÉRIE" marking) are in ascending order (apparently from the beginning) and prop numbers ("NUMÉRO" marking) also, without going back to 1 for each serial as Régy or Ratier props. So, it is easy to give a date range with prop number and confirm it with serial number.

I know a Levasseur n°27474 (a serial 876) clearly marked as built in May 1924, and a n°32552 (a serial 1111) estimated as 1925 built in a museum, but I think it is a too early estimate.
              Levasseur serial 1148 was for Morane Saulnier 230 ("MS 230") which was fitted with a 230 HP Salmson 9Ab and first flight around 1929. Serial 1145 have to be closed and I don't think there were many made, nor for a long time.

For me, your prop is from the late twenties, perhaps very early thirties.

"CURTISS 90 CV" : May be for an OX-5 engine, as this engine has been in use for a very long time and people had made fly "old" aircrafts. It seems (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_OX-5 ) there is an enthusiasts group about the OX-5. I think it will be a good idea to contact them about your prop.

Regards,
              PM
              Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X