Need help with possible German propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with possible German propeller

I need some help with this propeller identification. This was sent to me by an honored WWII veteran with the following note:

I have in my possession a wooden propeller I believe to be from the German Zeppelin works in Fiedrichshafen, Germany. I have been informed it was from the LZ-126 built sometime during 1923 and 1924 and presented to the U.S. Government as WW-1 debt compensation. It is also believed to have been a propeller from the U.S.S. Los Angeles (ZR-3) Any information you can share regarding the propeller would be appreciated as I am hoping to sell it in the near future. Would you be kind enough to give me a possible price on the propeller. Enclosed are some facts:

75 Pounds
    14 bolt holes
    13" bot circle
    8"depth
    44" copper molding from tip of hub
    7 3/4" hub
    Stamping PI-75, M16-dicm?
    Excellent condition
    What strikes me as unusual is the 14 hole hub, and I can't tell from the picture whether some of those have been re-drilled, but it's an unusual number, and they do look evenly spaced (vs. drilling 8 more holes in a 6 hole hub). The weight of 75 pounds also seems heavy, but I will try to find out the diameter, which wasn't specified.

Any ideas?

(The picture is a scan of a photocopy, but it's all I have.)
    Attached Files
    Dave

The owner sent some other photos.

The propeller is 12 feet in diameter, which accounts for its weight and may be consistent with dirigible use.

It's apparent that the hub has been altered substantially (cut out in the center for a clock, etc., and patched on the back with wood and screws) which certainly reduces any value as a collectible.
    Attached Files
    Dave

Comment

Here's another picture received today.

Note that there are 12 bolt holes, not 14 as originally stated.

Does anyone know what German engine hubs would have used 12 bolt holes?
      Attached Files
      Dave

Comment

A few others:
        Attached Files
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X